Blown ball joints..etc

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Blown ball joints..etc

Post by riceburnr2005 »

so ive had my s10 cc for about 4 weeks now, just cracked 100K on it and i noticed alot of squeaking out of the suspension. So outta curiosity i threw it up on the lift figuring it just needed to be greased. And what do you know, every ball joint and tie rod end on the truck are all blown, grease everywhere. The passenger side axle is leaking, both bump stops up front are rotted out, transmission oil pan leaking, transfer case leaking, front seal on rear diff is leaking...holy crap!! I feel like an idiot for buying this truck now, anything else i need to know that breaks at 100K? Oh, and did i mention i just bought this damn thing??
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Blown ball joints..etc

Post by fallvitals »

Private sale or dealer's used lot? If it was a dealers used lot, id do whatever to return it... but I dont know how that works for a used car sale...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well , when you get that stuff fixed, the O2 sensors will be in line for replacement. Hows the coolant? It may need flushed. The idler and tensioner pulleys might need a look , as will the belts. 100k is the next service for the transmission.

Fix what is bad and work your way through it. A hose clamp and new grease will fix the CV boot. $5
Keep grease in the ball joints and fix them as they go bad. Check the rest of the truck and then enjoy it. It will wait for parts as you can afford them.
They have problems, but so does any rig nearing 100k on the odometer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Brule said it well too.

Fuel pumps seem to go bad around 100k. Alternators before that. My water pump in my old s10 went around 85000.

Check out the sticky post about the vacuum switch.
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

it was a used car dealer.....im going to be giving them a call...
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.