Wheel bearing question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wheel bearing question

Post by PATRICKH »

If I have a wheel bearing going out, would the vibration/noise be constant regardless of vehicle speed?

Here's the situation. When I get the truck up to 60 mph, there is a definate vibration coming from the front end. If I slow down, shift it into N, the vibration will continue until I slow down to about 35 then all is ok.

I replaced the u joints back in Feb, so I know its not that.
It is not coming from the engine, and it does it at the same MPH no matter if its in D or OD, so pretty sure its not the transmission.

Have not jacked it up to check for any movement in the front wheels yet, get to that Wed.
So I'm thinking wheel bearings or something in the front axle. Any ideas? :idea:
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Wheel bearing question

Post by riceburnr2005 »

are your wheels balanced? Also a broken belt in a tire could do that, but you wouldnt be able to actually see that its bad.. I think the last time i had a wheel bearing go out it was making a loud grinding noise rather than vibration...who knows
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I just replaced a rear wheel bearing in my 05 Equinox, and can tell you that 99 times out of 100, the noise does change with wheel speed. At least the rears are easy to change on a FWD, 5 lug nuts, and 3 bolts to hold the bearing on.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Yeah, its making the grinding noise too. Wheels are balanced. Gonna check it out tomorrow, see if I've got any endplay and go from there. Thanks for the input.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Jacked the truck up this evening and noticed that a wheel weight was missing from my right front wheel. Just had them balanced at the end of Sept. Sooooo, gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and see what happens
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

cool let us know if it fixes your problem
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.