Grinding Noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

LakeCable4x4
Regular
Regular

Grinding Noise

Post by LakeCable4x4 »

Today while taking the off ramp I discovered that my truck had begun to make an awful grinding noise in the front end. It scales with the speed as in louder the slower you are going and quieter the faster you are going but there is no grinding noise at all once the truck comes to a stop. The noise is there either way I turn and the noise does not vary if I turn left or right. I've done my research and I'm almost positive its the wheel bearings but i'm posting this to get an honest 2nd opinion on what may be the problem.
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Grinding Noise

Post by riceburnr2005 »

yes it could possibly be a wheel bearing, but it could also be a stuck caliper...check your brakes make sure your caliper slide pins aren't froze up. if they are lube them up with some high temp grease. i just had to do this on my truck.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The noise is unrelated to braking, correct? Jack up each wheel, either both at once or individually. Grab the tire and try to move it. You should have no movement when holding it at 12 - 6 o'clock or the 9-3 positions.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

only reason why i said brakes is because my calipers were froze shut without me even realizing it. wore the pads all the way down and started to grind on the rotor. even when i wasnt braking.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

riceburnr2005 wrote:only reason why i said brakes is because my calipers were froze shut without me even realizing it. wore the pads all the way down and started to grind on the rotor. even when i wasnt braking.
Your post wasn't why I was asking him to try to make it clear in my head, Jarhead. :D I couldn't understand if, it was completely independent of the brakes. Yes, those slide pins are begging for routine cleaning and adding good grease.

I had to neglect mine last winter (long story) and it ate up my rear pads and rotors quickly. It may be that he has front brake problems but, we won't know until he tries a few things and gets to digging.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

haha i haven't been called a jarhead in a long time. but i agree with you, he needs to start digging...
U.S. Marines