Front end makes a loud noise after going from 4Hi to 2 wheel

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Front end makes a loud noise after going from 4Hi to 2 wheel

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I had my '02 CC in 4Hi while in snow the other day. No problem at all. Drove onto the highway and didn't need 4 wheel drive anymore, so popped it in 2 wheel. I then started to hear a loud whining noise, almost like a 18 wheeler was right next to me (whining of the tires). Got off the highway only to hear the noise was speed related. Figured out its the transfer case. I can turn the 4Hi on and the actuator works and four wheel drive works fine. I hit the button for 2Hi and it comes out of four wheel drive, but it whines VERY loud at speed. As you slow down in two wheel drive, you can hear a clicking noise coming from the right front. Just seems like it doesn't want to disconnect completely.

I took the battery out and checked out the actuator. Cleaned it up and it was a little rusty, but operated normally. What could be making this very loud noise I'm hearing? While in two wheel drive, truck in park, the front drive shaft moves, so no problems there. Am I hearing a coupler that is not disengaging completely? I wish I could see an exploded view of how this front end works so I can narrow down the problem.

Thanks in advance guys,
Mat
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Front end makes a loud noise after going from 4Hi to 2 w

Post by HenryJ »

It might be that the actuator cable is sticking.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK