Driver side O2 sensor replacement. How the heck?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Driver side O2 sensor replacement. How the heck?

Post by ApproachMedium »

Do I really need to remove my front axle driveshaft to replace this sensor? It seems impossible to get to. When I can get a wrench on it, it wont budge. Even after soaking it with PB Blaster for many times over. So my next option is to remove the front axle drive shaft and then get my O2 socket on there and try to get it out. I often wonder whos in charge of designing the wire harnesses in these trucks because its damn near impossible to unplug the sensor, and then getting the plug back in takes even more cursing screaming and getting my small hands stuck in between stuff.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Driver side O2 sensor replacement. How the heck?

Post by roadrunner »

It is difficult to reach but doable. One hint you won't like. Get the exhaust hot then remove the sensor. If you don't there's a very good chance you'll gall the threads in the pipe causing all kinds of further problems. A pair of heavy leather or welding gloves will help. I found it easier to use a box end wrench on both front sensors as opposed to a special socket (which I do have) intended for the task. And no, removal of the front shaft is not needed on either side nor is the driveshaft removal needed although it would provide more access room.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Driver side O2 sensor replacement. How the heck?

Post by ApproachMedium »

Humm so get it hot huh? I guess it doesnt help its 28 degrees here right now. I was trying first with the box wrench but it wouldn't budge. Ill have to try again on a warmer day with the exhaust heated up some.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ