Switching 4x4 drive shafts

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Switching 4x4 drive shafts

Post by ApproachMedium »

Not exactly a crew cab question, but maybe some here who have S10 experience can answer me this riddle. I have a 94 blazer that needs a new drive shaft for the 4x4. I was going to steal the one from a 87 extended cab pickup. Everything appears the same, but it does not fit. Why might this be? What might make them have the drive shaft for a pickup be different than a drive shaft for a blazer?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Switching 4x4 drive shafts

Post by killian96ss »

The problem is not the difference between a blazer and a truck, it the difference between generations. The 87 is a 1st gen, while the 94 is a 2nd gen. They have different engines, different transmissions, different front diffs, and so on. Look for another 94 and up (2nd gen) to get a compatible front driveshaft. There is a company online (e-bay) called S10 Warehouse that sometimes has used driveshafts.

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Switching 4x4 drive shafts

Post by ApproachMedium »

Yea after going under the truck today I saw the difference in person. I was having a friend do it since I am busy with work. The pickup actually is different from the blazers it seems. I will have to look for one on line. Its amazing the stupid little differences while the body etc remained mostly the same. The fenders dont even seem to match.....
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ