No start, then white smoke, then BLACK... then clean?!?!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

Hey guys... Got a weird one for ya.

Got really cold about a week ago- hit -38 F and the pickup didn't start even though it was plugged in. I heated the rig with a diesel heater & tarp, cranked it over till it was dead, charged it again and hit it with starter fluid and still wouldn't fire even though it was charged and 'warm'. Time's been an issue for me so we just used the other rig till I had room in the schedule to work on things.

Last night I was fixin' to tear into the pickup when it fired right up?! It was a little hard starting and rough idle, but I was surprised that it started at all! +10 F had some part in it but still surprised.

Here's the deal- the exhaust was really white for a minute and smelled like gasoline, then turned very black (turned a patch of snow the size of a garbage can lid completely BLACK) with rough idle, then cleared up and runs fine after about 20 minutes warming up at idle (while I plowed snow on the quad, looking over at the rig hoping to not see flames). Even drove it to work today and wanted to pull it into the garage if things get slow...

Thought I'd throw it out to you guys and see if you have some thoughts on this one...

Thanks for your input!
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like you computer needed a "relearn" after your battery died. Clean your tb when you get time. I bet it is built up with carbon.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: No start, then white smoke, then BLACK... then clean?!?!

Post by HenryJ »

"Tater in the Z'aust?"
Got Mice?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

computer relearn, eh? well that makes sense. thanks!

i sure wonder why the thing wouldn't start in the first place. i even broke out the startin juice. earlier this winter it did a cold start at -34 (not plugged in b/c i was gonna take wife's rig to work the next day, then plans changed RIGHT as i was headed out the door...). good thing for good batteries. but this time it didn't fire up and i drained the battery pretty good trying. i was wondering about temp sensors and camshaft sensors, but like your idea better!

-b
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I hope the "relearn" and TB cleaning solves the problem. HJ and I installed battery cut off switches several years ago. The first time I reconnected mine, after a 2 week period, it refused to stay running. I questioned HJ if, he had similar experiences and I was met with a flat "NO"! I later replaced a starter in my heep and had the same results. Come to find out, that the 'puter was reset and thought the heep was new. Carbon built up in the throttle body changed the equation and confused it.

I hope cleaning yours will solve your problem.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

I won't completely close the case, but I like your thinking. The forty below can really mess with a rig, and with it being drained and charged, drained and charged several times over a week of coooold temps (no garage mind you!), maybe that was the trick. I've been driving it several days now and having fun in the snow with no problems.

thanks for yer input!

-B
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I hope that was the problem and not just a coincidence. I hate when I fix something and not know what I did to fix it.