Going to seafoam crew need advice

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Going to seafoam crew need advice

Post by bradjh »

Should i put it in gas tank, crak case and pcv or vac line from brake booster? do i need to do all 3 at same time or can i wait on crank case until i'm closer to needing oil change? how much should i put in each place. should i buy 2 cans or is 1 enough?

Brad
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Re: Going to seafoam crew need advice

Post by michaelhrgn »

i would put 1/3 in the gas tank.. start the truck , and pore 1/3 in the breake booster line... let it kill the truck or turn off ... .pull the lid of the tb and pour the rest down the intake ,, let sit for 5 min and then let the smoke show start !!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My routine is 1/3 into the brake booster vacuum line (without killing the motor) and turn it off. Pour the other 2/3 can into the fuel tank. Let it set for 5-10 minutes and fire it back up. If, it is very high mileage engine with, unknown history, and you pour it into the crankcase....you might witness the death of an engine. Seafoam cleans, so well, that all that free flowing gunk is going to clog up things and starve areas of lubrication. Just me though. :2:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I do 1/3 in brake booster, 1/3 in tank and 1/3 in with the oil approximately one fillup before an oil change (200 miles).
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

well it has 105,000 I have owned it since 60,000, I have done all maintainence oil changes tune up at 100 k intake gaskets, injectors, radiator etc. What do you consider high milege? I have run mobil 1 since i bought it. Do you think i should put it in the cranks case? what could happen?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I've got 86k and just ran some through and changed the oil. To each his own.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have heard the internet rumors of "Seafoam destroying and engine". I have never seen or experienced such a thing though.
Like any folk tale, add just enough truth to make it seem plausible. This is just my take on it.

Seafoam does emulsify the deposits in the engine. Could all these contaminants plug up a filter? Perhaps. Then the oil would bypass. I don't know of any filters lacking a bypass valve today. It could be possible , but it would be the exception rather than the norm.
Could this stuff plug up oil mains? I don't see it happening. Sure the crud might flow, but at best it should help to clear clogged arteries. The crud it breaks loose is not big chunks. It dissolves deposits when used in the engine oil. It frees them to be carried in the oil where they can be filtered and drained from the engine. This negatively affects the lubricity and viscosity of the oil, so prolonged use is not recommended.
A similar thing happens when mixed with fuel. In this case Seafoam has more lubricity that the fuel and aids in lubrication.

But I see big chunks coming out the exhaust! True. Apples and oranges between what is happening inside the crankcase when Seafoam is mixed with oil.

How do I use it? I use it in high mileage engines that have been carbon-ed up, or neglected. Coolant leaks into the crankcase, sludged up or sticky valvetrain. If the oil gets brown really fast and I see deposits I may use it two or three times.

Application:
I add half a can to the full fuel tank and half to the engine crankcase and then take it for a drive down the highway. Usually no more than 15 to 20 minutes run time. Just enough to get it up to operating temperature.
Then pull back to the shop and open the second bottle.
I use half a pint into a cup. Take loose the vacuum line from the power brake booster check valve and start the engine. Use that hose to suck up the cup of Seafoam carefully keeping the engine running. The last part of the cup I shove the hose in and stall the engine. If the engine does not stall, shut it off quickly.
Then wait 15-20 minutes for it to soak into the carbon deposits on the pistons and in the intake.
Once that time has passed, start it up and , although I don't like reving a cold engine, I do it in this case. Rev it "spiritedly" several times to clear it out and fog the neighborhood. Then off for another drive down the highway and back.
upon returning, pull in , jack it up. Block it and change the engine oil. Be sure to take the fliter off and let those lines drain back too.
This is a good time to check the cap, rotor, and plugs. Give that oil plenty of time to drip. Overnight is a great idea if you can wait that long. Those last drops are the worst stuff.

Keep that half of the second can for the next fill up of fuel. A couple tanks is usually enough to clean things up in the fuel system good. After than I usually only treat after an oil change.

If the oil still looks cruddy at or near the next oil change I might add another crankcase treatment just before that change. I have never needed to do more than three times on the crankcase. If it looks like it needs more, something else is "a-miss". Look for a coolant leak into the crankcase. It can go as far as needing an overhaul.

Personally, I would not shy away from adding it to a high mileage engine. It it did indeed cause a failure, I suspect the engine was well on the way out before the application.
I have used Seafoam for quite a while and in all sorts of misused and neglected vehicles. A few did knock and rattle the carbon out , but I have never made one worse than it was before the application. Most were noticeably improved.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

When I got my Tahoe I followed the basic set of info Brule outlined above except I ran the Seafoam in the crankcase for about 60 miles (two one way trips from home to work and back separated by an 8 hour sit between trips). The oil came out almost like tar and when the Seafoam treatment was done to the top end the neighbors thought my house was on fire and almost called the fire department . Engine ran noticeably smoother all the way around after the treatment. Oh and the mileage on the Tahoe - 211K, mileage on it now 232K and still going strong.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

ive been wanting to do this for awhile, i might end up getting around to do it while on leave before going overseas. if i have this correct its 1/3 bottle in tank, oil, and brake booster line?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Spend $13 and get two bottles. Half a bottle (8oz) in each and half a bottle on the shelf for the next fill of fuel.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Are there any advantages to seafoaming? I know it is not street legal. Is this for a car show?
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Seafoam motor Treatment
Seafoam wrote:Motor Treatment

Safely frees sticky lifters and piston rings, removes carbon build-up and oil residue, reduces pinging and rough idle. For Carburetors or Fuel Injected Gasoline Engines - Autos – Trucks – Tractors – Motorcycles – Marine – Small Engines – Industrial Engines Great for Diesel Engines Too!

Sea Foam® Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. Sea Foam® is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

Sea Foam® liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine contaminants, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings, improving idle quality, pinging and hesitation problems. By using Sea Foam® to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam® has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam® will clean carburetors, fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.
As an oil system additive, Sea Foam® controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Cool! I might try that. A my rig is approaching 10 years old, a little carbon removal might be a good thing.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
caltman

Post by caltman »

can somebody put a pic up of where the hose it at?want to do seafoam treatment soon
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

caltman wrote:can somebody put a pic up of where the hose it at?want to do seafoam treatment soon
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
caltman

Post by caltman »

thanks man i appreciate it,is oil change necessary after if im just going to do it through the booster line?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Nope.
caltman

Post by caltman »

thanks guys