strange noise s10 possibly possessed!!!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

strange noise s10 possibly possessed!!!

Post by s10 again »

Hello again all I'm back. I need some help with my freaky truck. Last Friday I was towing a riding mower on a small trailer. Out of nowhere I get a funky grinding sound and light vibration. At first I thought it was a tire going down on me. I pulled over and all tires are fine. When I start moving again nothing all seems well.

Later the same day no longer pulling the trailer it happens again. It must be loud outside the truck because I had a guy next to me on a motorcycle and another behind me. They both backed away from me quickly. I went to pull over but as I slowed there was a clunk and again all was fine.

Then again the same day it started again. I started to think it was something in the 4wd. This time I was going faster and it sounded like gears being forced together right under my feet. I made it a point to look at the 4wd indicator it was lit solid on 2wd. However I squeezed under the truck and the front shaft would not turn. I could not tell if it was the front diff,t-case or both that was engaged. But again noise stopped once I started moving

I drove it home at low speed then Saturday put it up on ramps. I checked to front shaft and it is now free.

I did some reading and pulled some vacuum lines and found no fluid in any of them.

I have read of many issues with the 4wd engaging it's self on s10s with 3 button 4wd. But all of them have the 4wd indicter lights either blinking or suddenly showing it is in 4wd. But my light stays solid on 2wd. Any ideas

Thanks
Chris
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: strange noise s10 possibly possessed!!!

Post by RebelKid1822 »

i have seen this twice on blazers, the front right hub would get vacuum when it should not and engage the hub. i have in both cases simply pulled the clip from the cable that goes to the hub actuator. that way whenever the vehicle get vacuum at the wrong time, the 4x4 would not be able to engage. as to why it gets vacuum when it shouldn't i would check the pressure switch on the transfer case along with the check valves on the vacuum lines in the engine.