Truck rolls after being placed in park?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

kgkoon
Regular
Regular

Truck rolls after being placed in park?

Post by kgkoon »

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I have never had this happen with any vehicle I have ever owned (all manual transmissions by the way). Sometimes (I can't detect a pattern) my S-10 CC ZR5 will move slightly either backwards or forwards after I put it in park and make a clicking sound, like something is engaging. Is this normal? It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened as I am not used to a vehicle doing this. Anyone else having this happen?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What you are refering to sounds like the parking pawl engaging the hub.

Put simply-

Inside the automatic transmission there is a lever with a hook and a drum that has notches. When you put it in park the lever locks into one of the notches.

Things can't be really tight or it would be too difficult to engage / disengage. That and adding all the slack from the trans , driveshaft, ring gear, axle shafts, etc. add up to the distance it can roll.

Park is not designed to hold the truck under a load. If you park on a hill engage the parking brake then put the transmission in park , to take the pressure off the parking pawl.

Obviously you do not want to put it into park if you are not stopped completely. Doing such could break the hook off the lever, leaving you with just another neutral position. (been-there ,done-that)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kgkoon
Regular
Regular

Post by kgkoon »

Thank you Henry. You confirmed my hunch of what was happening, albeit in more technical terms than I could have. :D
Doogy
Regular
Regular

Post by Doogy »

I have a similar result. When I first fire up the truck after it has been sitting in the garage all night it nudges forward in park. It only does it when the tranny is cooled down over-night. Do you think it may need adjustment or is it something to have looked at under warranty?
Doogy
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

What really sucks is when your parking break is worn out too which is known to happen on these trucks.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

That why they put them wheel chocks in with the jack? :lol:
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I think if I ever have enough money and time I will just get some line locks for the rear brakes and totally get rid of the parking brake as it is virtually useless even after new brake shoes and proper adjustment.

Edit: Mine holds when facing up hill but never downhill. I hate having to rip my gear selector out of park in the morning when I have no choice but to park facing downhill. Any body out there have a fix for this?
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]