Adjusting rear ebrake

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Adjusting rear ebrake

Post by paintballrocker »

i just got over at my base un the uk and im getting my CC in order to get resigestered for uk. it failed on a couple things that i already kno how to fix, but one thing was the right rear ebrake didnt hold firm enough. jw if anyone has any advice on how to adjust id be indept to you!

thanks!
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Adjusting rear ebrake

Post by HenryJ »

parking brake adjust?
Emergency brake adjustment

Jack up the rear axle, remove the tires , brake calipers and their brackets. Now pull off the Rotor/drum. Inside is the parking brake shoe. Check it to make sure it has adequate lining. Then properly adjust it to the drum.
Park Brake Shoe Adjustment
Tools Required
A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge

Proper adjustment requires a tool for checking the air gap between the drum (rotor hat) and the shoes. It is like a large caliper. (GM# J 2117-A Drum to Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge) KD Tools also makes one. I think it was close to $50

Important

The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.
1. Set the tool so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.
2. Position the tool over the shoe and the lining at the widest point.
3. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the tool.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
5. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).
Make sure you lube the caliper slide pins when you reassemble.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

thanks hj for the reply. i just had a chance to take alook at it, and the rear brake i mentioned that was the problem is seized up it appears. the shoe doesnt move at all when the parking brake is applied. do i just have to order a new shoe like this one, http://www.discountautoparts.com/item.w ... R&weight=2? i never dealt with ebrakes before so this is all new to me. any adivce?

thanks
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is no picture there, but it looks to be the proper application and the price is in the ballpark. They are rather expensive.
The shoe does not have a thick lining, so don't get in a hurry to junk what you have. If it has a lining thickness close to 1/8" or .120 all the way around and no breaks or cracking, it should be fine.

if it does not move, keep in mind that it does not move much. It could be the mechanical mechanism that operates it is seized. That will require dis-assembly , cleaning and lubrication. if that is functioning look to see that the cable is adjusted up enough to operate them.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well im going towork on it after i get off work tomorrow. HJ, once i get the rear disk and brake off, do i just pull off the ebrake shoe and take apart the adjusting mechanism? then clean it, lube it, and put it back together and then readjust? ive never done this before so for for asking alot of Q's. i just realized i know more about working on F15's than my truck right now haha.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You have it right. The shoe is one piece. It will come off the axle if you need to. Sort of a Chinese puzzle though.
I think you'll figure it all out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

so i finally found time the past weekend to work on this ebrake problem. i found the cause and got her fixed. basically the ebrake assembly on the back side of the plate thats attached to the axle tube where the cable attaches and moves to actuate the ebrake shoe in the brake cause dry and seized up. so i took it apart, cleaned off all the old grease and light corrosion that formed from lack of lube. once i got that freed up and moving i just barely had to adjust the cable to get it to hold properly. so lesson learned, make sure things that move have grease on them haha.

thanks for the help HJ, this saved me from buying a part i didint need!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for the update. Glad you got things working!

- ThunderII KE7CSK