High CO reading

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

High CO reading

Post by paintballrocker »

Thanks HJ, you always have a quick reply!

on a seperate note, any idea what could cause me having a high CO content in my emissions? it failed cause of that too
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Adjusting rear ebrake

Post by HenryJ »

Cat inefficiency? O2 sensors degraded? Plugs weak?
Sort of fishing here. I'm not sure.
A good look at the ignition components and a Seafoam treatment might help?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

paintballrocker wrote:any idea what could cause me having a high CO content in my emissions? it failed cause of that too
:?:
custom made cat-back exhaust
:idea:

WHAT CAUSES HIGH CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)?

I'm a little surprised that inspection station picked this up but it didn't set off your SES light. Kind of a long shot but it might be worth checking stored codes to see if there's anything emissions related that'll help narrow your search.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

re: high carbon monoxide readings.
A high percentage of carbon monoxide when sampling tailpipe emissions is usually due to a rich fuel mixture. The carbon monoxide could be high enough to fail an emissions test but not bad enough to trigger a service engine soon light. As others have mentioned a degraded sensor could be the cause. The best way to determine the fuel mixture would be to use a scan tool. The long and short term fuel trim will show how much fuel needs to be added or subtracted to achieve the target fuel mixture. Scan tools can be quite expensive so it may be in your best interest to seek a professional in this case.
2003 S-10 CrewCab..Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: High CO reading

Post by killian96ss »

Does your truck have an egr system? An EGR valve stuck open will increase CO%.

Steve
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Cat inefficiency? O2 sensors degraded? Plugs weak?
Sort of fishing here. I'm not sure.
A good look at the ignition components and a Seafoam treatment might help?
i thought all those things too, just thot id ask before i went fishing with new parts haha. oh i just did a seafoam treatent before i shipped it overseas
paintballrocker wrote:
any idea what could cause me having a high CO content in my emissions? it failed cause of that too
:?:
Quote:
custom made cat-back exhaust
:idea:
WHAT CAUSES HIGH CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)?
I'm a little surprised that inspection station picked this up but it didn't set off your SES light. Kind of a long shot but it might be worth checking stored codes to see if there's anything emissions related that'll help narrow your search.
well in the UK ehre the testing is more strict than bac home in PA, i passed last year in PA. and about the exhaust, since it was a cat back exhaust it shouldnt of spiked my CO so high, but now that i deleted the 2 org cats and replaced with a high flo, that might be why
Does your truck have an egr system? An EGR valve stuck open will increase CO%.
didnt think bout this, could be possible. ive never inspected the EGR system
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well i just ordered new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and a downstream O2 sensor. hoping this will help reduce the CO, plus the truck needed a tune up anyways haha