Axle replacement Help .

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Doughboy90

Axle replacement Help .

Post by Doughboy90 »

Here's the deal, My axle seals went bad and wore my axle bearings in turn wore my axle's. So I call Summitt and orderd a new set of moser axles. Everything looks fine after the swap untill i get to putting the passenger side brake bracket and caliper on and it will not fit, like the axle is too long, The driver side is fine however. I pull everything apart and measure the axle's (should have done this first) and they measure just under 29 inches, mabey just a lil longer than stock. Now what do I do or what did I miss?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Axle replacement Help .

Post by killian96ss »

Are you sure both axles are the same length? Did you remove the differential or just the cross shaft and c-clips? Do you have any pictures of the problem your having?

Steve
Doughboy90

Post by Doughboy90 »

I dont have any way to send pics, I just removed the shaft and c clips. I've got the brakes on and everything back together, but the brakes are way too tight. I may have switched up the caliper brackets are they specific as to what side they go on?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

The only difference in the rear calipers is the brake line connection fitting.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Axles a little longer may not be a good thing. The calipers can move in and out to compensate a little bit, but not a great deal. You need to have axles that will have some clearance with new pads.

First make sure that your caliper slide pins are properly cleaned and lubricated. Sticking slide pins could be the heart of the problem?

If you are still having problems, pull the axles and compare the to the stock axles. Keep in mind that there may be a left and right side difference. I have had very good luck with Moser. The HenryJ and Vega both run their axles.

Be sure to let us know what you figure out. BTW, I have a good pair of axle shafts from my old axle for sale in the classifieds if you find that you may need another option.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Doughboy90

Post by Doughboy90 »

Well, both axle's measure 29 inches, the slide pins seem to be fine; so i called summit and talked to tech and their going to call moser tomorrow and see if they have a solution if not i'm sending the axle's back. I may need to purchase those axle's Henryj.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maybe Brule could measure his used axles and see if they are the same length as the Moser axles?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are packed up for shipping so measuring them is not going to be an option, sorry. I assume that he could compare them to his old axles to check out differences?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Doughboy90

Post by Doughboy90 »

There difenitly longer than the stock ones, by 1/4 inch or so.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Doughboy90 wrote:There difenitly longer than the stock ones, by 1/4 inch or so.
Well there's your problem! Send them back, and buy Brule's axles! Summit & Moser need to fix the problem and give you your money back since they were incorrectly listed.

Steve
Doughboy90

Post by Doughboy90 »

Summit called and said moser doesn't have a axle to fit the crew and their taking mine back. Thanks for all ya'lls help.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I bought some nice axles for my 88 S10 Blazer from Summit last year and they fit perfect. The brand was Alloy. Maybe they make them for the crew cab since they have almost the same rear end 7.5, 7,625?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Axles are on their way. :thumb: Shipping was almost twice the purchase price. I think they were very affordable :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK