Transmission vent tube 2002 crew

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Minn12
Regular
Regular

Transmission vent tube 2002 crew

Post by Minn12 »

New user here. great site.
I noticed A small drip from what I think is a vent tube on top of the transmission on the drivers side. any ideas of what may be causing this?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Transmission vent tube 2002 crew

Post by HenryJ »

Hows the fluid level? Check it in park and while it is hot.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Minn12
Regular
Regular

Post by Minn12 »

Thanks for the quick reply. Fluid level is good but while looking around today noticed that my radiator hasn't been flushed in what looks like since new. I'm wondering if that my be also causing the tranny to overheat. Has been 90+ temps here in Minnesota for the past month. Thinking flush and refill for both tranny and radiator
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are sure it is the transmission vent tube, not the transfer case, right?

Flushing coolant and the transmission is a good idea. Check the transfercase fluid too. Servicing the boxes is a good idea too. A great place to start.

Clean in between the radiator and condenser while you are in the mood. It can gather gobs of junk there.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Minn12
Regular
Regular

Post by Minn12 »

Positive it is for the trans but guess while I'm under there the transfer case fluid should get changed out also. Just did a new diff seal and fluid last week, the seal blew out and what looked like chocolate milk was on my garage floor also relocated the diff vent tube. New fuel pump last month, 90,000 on her, time for some wear and tear to start to show.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good. Be sure your Tcase vacuum switch is good. Checking the lines while you're under there is a good idea. There is a sticky about that problem if you have not seen it already.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
okaussie
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by okaussie »

Last March my tranny started acting funny and found the seal between the tranny and tcase was bad. The tcase sucked all the tranny fluid into it and the tranny died. Also had to replace the vacuum transfer case switch, the dash controls for the HVAC and some vacuum hoses due to this. Got the tranny rebuilt and did not have any problems til two weeks ago. Please read the "Dead in the Water Thread."

Here in Oklahoma, we have gone 40+ days above 100 degrees. Walmart told me that they can't keep batteries in stock due to the heat. Cells keep going bad. or worse yet, they explode when you start your vehicle. My repair shop told me that they are replacing more engines this summer than ever before due to the heat. Engines are becoming scarce and more expensive.

Just some things to think about

Bill
Minn12
Regular
Regular

Post by Minn12 »

Thanks for the reply Bill: I am hoping the problem is not that bad. Yet! I bought the ruck 2 years ago from a relative with 75,000 on it and it has been a great truck. Have 91,000 on it now and it is my daily driver. I am hoping by changing out all fluids (which I should have done when I first got it!) will help. It isnt overheating but when I inspected the radiator last night the internal tubes look like they need shave, so will be flushing and refilling tonight. all other fluids this weekend. I could see were that kind of prolonged heat on you guys has got cause alot of havic on vehicles.