New truck with front axle issues.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New truck with front axle issues.

Post by bbgot »

Howdy all,

I just purchased an 02 S10 Crew Cab pickup. The truck is in excellent condition, but the front axle will not engage. I notified the dealer and they "fixed" it yesterday, but when I got it home and checked it, I found that all they did was replace a bearing and seal on the passenger side axle tube and that the front axle was still dead.

The transfer case works fine, and I verified that the vacuum actuater and shift linkage are both working as they should.

So, this morning I took the truck to MY mechanic and he is currently tearing down the front axle to see if he can find the issue.

Has anyone here had an internal issue with the front axle that prevented the axle from engaging? My mechanic seems to think that maybe the collar that engages the passenger side axle is missing or installed incorrectly.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: New truck with front axle issues.

Post by HenryJ »

If the front axle has been apart before it is really easy to miss the shift fork. Actuator and cable problems are high on the list of suspects right behind vacuum problems.
If the actuator is working properly then you have already eliminated the encoder, t-case module dash switch and transferase switch.

Sounds like you are headed the right direction.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: New truck with front axle issues.

Post by bbgot »

Well, I just got off the phone with my mech.

Turns out the little shaft that goes between the differential and the collar that engages the rest of passenger side axle was MISSING!

$450 for front axle tear down/reassembly, $200 for the part, and my truck will be out of commission until next week when the part ships, all because some jack@ss before me lost a part.

It's frustrating, but I think it will be worth it. This truck runs and drives like new and doesn't appear to have ever left pavement in it's previous 118K miles. I just can't wait until it's all back together again and I can finally start driving the dang thing!