rear axle seal

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rear axle seal

Post by bbgot »

I've got a rear axle tube seal leaking on my 02 CC. I'm going to try to replace it this week but I only have basic tools with me right now. (at school)

Do I really need a seal puller for this, or can it be pryed out with a long screwdriver?

Also, I've got the G80 diff, any special instructions for removing the axle shaft on these?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: rear axle seal

Post by HenryJ »

You should be able to pry out the seal. Be careful not to damage the axle tube.
Be prepared to find a bad axle (pitted) and bearing. You will need some tools above and beyond basic hand tools to pull the axle bearing.
The axles pull the same as the open differential.
Remove cover, remove lock bolt. Slide out pin. Push in axle and remove c-clip.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

Thanks for the reply,

Is it common for the axle to be pitted and the bearings to go bad on these trucks? Or do you say that because that may be the reason my seal is going bad?

I've actually never pulled a C-clip type axle apart before, I've only worked on Ford 9" type axles before, my 94 s10 and 95 GMC 1500 never had any problems with the rear axles that required me to work on them. I'm glad this isn't a 9", those required a hydraulic press to replace axle seals on. :twisted:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may indeed be the reason the axle seal is leaking. Too much wear and movement can make an axle seal leak. These trucks are getting to the age and mileage where that is a possibility. Yours may just be a bad seal, but be ready in case you need to take the next step.

If you've worked on a 9" this won't be a problem. Drop the pin for the spiders just the same.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

Well, I got the seal replaced today. It really wasn't too difficult. The only reason the factory seal was leaking was that the little spring that goes around the outside of the seal to keep pressure on the axle shaft had slipped off.
The bearings and axle shaft looked to be in good shape for 120k miles.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"I love it when a plan comes together".

- ThunderII KE7CSK