Steering column diagram

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steering column diagram

Post by pceh »

Hi, do any of you have an exploded view/diagram of the upper steerwheel assembly. Specifically, from the steering wheel to the firewall. I have some play at the very top end (didn't notice until I replace all of the bushings, idler arm etc...). I want to see what I can do to elimnate the play in the wheel (about 1/4 inch). It also rattles from the top end when heading over washboard or potholes. Thanks.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Steering column diagram

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pceh »

This is perfect. Can you see any where there could be play? I checked the rag joint and it is fine. It seems to be where the steering wheel is attached to the shaft, but based on this diagram, I cannot see how there could be any play.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

There is a bearing under the turn signal switch. The best I can tell fron the diagram, is it goes in part# 23.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't forget to check for play in the steering box too. Doesn't sound like your problem from your description but a good idea anyway.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

(1) Upper Trim Cover
(2) Lower Trim Cover
(3) Shift Lever Assembly
(4) Shift Lever Screw
(5) Shift Lever Seal
(6) Flanged Prevailing Torque Nut
(7) Retaining Ring
(8) SIR Coil
(9) Wave Washer
(10) Bearing Retainer
(11) Shaft Lock Shield Assembly
(12) Turn Signal Cancel Cam Assembly
(13) Upper Bearing Spring
(14) Upper Bearing Inner Race Seat
(15) Inner Race
(16) Pan Head Tapping Screws
(17) TORX® Head Screw
(18) Ignition Lock Cylinder Case
(19) Pan Head Tapping Screw
(20) Ignition Switch Assembly
(21) Lock Bolt Spring
(22) Lock Bolt Assembly
(23) Steering Column Tilt Head Assembly
(24) Tilt Spring
(25) Spring Guide
(26) TORX® Head Screw
(27) Tilt Lever Assembly
(28) Pan Head Tapping Screws
(29) Pan Head Tapping Screws
(30) Turn Signal and Multifunction Switch Assembly
(31) Wire Harness Straps
(32) Axial Position Assurance Connector
(33) Race and Upper Shaft Assembly
(34) Centering Sphere
(35) Joint Preload Spring
(36) Lower Steering Shaft Assembly
(37) Shift Lever Clevis
(38) Cam Bushing
(39) Linear Shift Shaft Assembly
(40) Flat Head Tapping Screws
(41) Shift Lever Gate
(42) Oval Head 6-Lobed Socket Tapping Screws
(43) Gear Shift Lever Support Bracket
(44) Actuator Bushing
(45) Cable Shift Cam Assembly
(46) Actuator Bushing
(47) Hexagon Flange Head Bolt
(48) Park Lock Cable Assembly
(49) Linear Shift Assembly
(50) Hexagon Flange Head Bolt
(51) Ball and Actuator Assembly
(52) Actuator Bushing
(53) TORX® Head Screws
(54) Pivot Pins
(55) Steering Column Support Assembly
(56) Steering Column Jacket Assembly
(57) Adapter and Bearing Assembly
(58) Shaft Seal Retainer
(59) Steering Shaft Seal
(60) Inner Boot Seal
(61) Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control
(62) Coupling and Steering Shaft Assembly
(63) Large Flange Hexagon Nut
(64) Round Head Locking Bolt
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
alntex

Post by alntex »

I have been chasing the elusive steering wheel noise and freeplay as well. I think mine may be mostly in the steering box since it feels like there is no motion at the pitman arm during the time free play is felt at the steering wheel, but, I want to completely eliminate the column as a culprit before I tackle the box. (I have already replaced the rag joint-it made a slight difference). I also tried to adjust the steering box at the sector adjuster to no avail, which leaves the worm gear bearing adjustment as the next item. Yuck. Has anyone heard of problems with the coupling (item 62) at the end of the shaft? Is it called a tulip joint? Does the bolt (items 63&64) at that end ever have problems? Can I get access to that area by removing the two nuts at the item 56 Jacket assy? If I remove them do I need to support the upper part of the column so it doesn't drop to the floorboard? Any advice would be appreciated. Alntex
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

alntex wrote:...Has anyone heard of problems with the coupling (item 62) at the end of the shaft? Is it called a tulip joint?
Not specifically in this application as it is better protected than other vehicles. It is a wear item though and should be one of your suspects as should the tilt assembly and column bearings.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

How did you replace the rag joint? did you put a U joint in instead?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
alntex

Post by alntex »

No, I used the DORMAN HELP kit #31002 plus 4 new 1" X5/16" bolt/washer/nuts. My old ragjoint was still in pretty good condition, but was exhibiting a slight amount of looseness, so I changed it. Al
alntex

Post by alntex »

Just an update on my situation. I was able to get my fingers on the bolt that connects the Coupling and Steering Shaft Assembly (item 62 in the diagram provided by F9K9 above) to item 36 by pushing back the big boot (item 60) towards the firewall. The 15mm nut was very tight and there was no perceptible lag in motion at that point when I moved the steering wheel back and forth. Next, I placed a small magnet into the end of a sode straw and put it on the shaft further downstream toward the gearbox and got motion there when the steering wheel was moved. My conclusion is that the steering slop is not in this part of the column. I also tried this same test with the magnet/straw attached at the steering box input shaft with the same results. All this diagnosis leads me to suspect my gearbox is the culprit. Now, I just have to bite the bullet replace it. Lots of people recommend going to the 12.1 box. Does it require a different pitman arm? Thanks, Alntex
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

alntex wrote:Just an update on my situation. I was able to get my fingers on the bolt that connects the Coupling and Steering Shaft Assembly (item 62 in the diagram provided by F9K9 above) to item 36 by pushing back the big boot (item 60) towards the firewall. The 15mm nut was very tight and there was no perceptible lag in motion at that point when I moved the steering wheel back and forth. Next, I placed a small magnet into the end of a sode straw and put it on the shaft further downstream toward the gearbox and got motion there when the steering wheel was moved. My conclusion is that the steering slop is not in this part of the column. I also tried this same test with the magnet/straw attached at the steering box input shaft with the same results. All this diagnosis leads me to suspect my gearbox is the culprit. Now, I just have to bite the bullet replace it. Lots of people recommend going to the 12.1 box. Does it require a different pitman arm? Thanks, Alntex
Visit SYTY.com , they have a ton of info. on the ZQ8 steering box or 12.1 that you are thinking of. They also have a source to get one at a very reasonable price from a trusted supplier.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN