MAP SENSOR REPLACEMENT AND STILL EXTREMELY SLUGGISH

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MAP SENSOR REPLACEMENT AND STILL EXTREMELY SLUGGISH

Post by sjacoby »

I have a 2002 4.3, my truck started to gradually lose acceleration over the coarse of a week, to the point I could only get up to 30km. My computor gave me P0101 code only. I cleaned map sensor, didn't change, replaced map sensor with a new one, didn't change. In park I can only get 2500rpm, then it backs off sputtering. Where should I look next?
Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: MAP SENSOR REPLACEMENT AND STILL EXTREMELY SLUGGISH

Post by HenryJ »

Plugged cat?
Fairly common.

Next would be cap/rotor and distributor problems. After that fuel pump failure. From your description , it screams plugged cat.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

Ya, i've read a bit about that, would I not get other codes other than maf sensor?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine set no codes.
Pull the forward O2 sensors and start it up. If it runs better you found the problem.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

Thats what I'll do next, thanks. I put in a new distributor, rotor, plugs, wires and cap already, so this sounds like where I will go next,
post the results
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

Is it possible that my O2 sensors could also be the problem?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If they are very old, it is possible that they could contribute to a cat failure. They alone would not be the problem you have outlined.

Pull the sensors and see if the back pressure relief helps. :fingers crossed: (cat problem)

Where do you live? Does your vehicle require inspections? You can pass a sniffer without the precat if it is the problem. You will not set a code running without it. It may not pass a visual inspection though?
If the main cat is bad too, you should probably have it replaced.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

We have no emission testing where I live, Thunder Bay, On. so this is not a worry, as well, I have no plans to sell the vehicle, so I am not worried about inspection upon change of ownership.
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

sorry, are u referring to the pre-cat being plugged?
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

Well, I would like to thank u again. I pulled the O2 sensor, it ran remarkably better, cut out the pre-cat and it was incredibly destroyed inside. Never seen anything like it. Ran a straight pipe and took it for a test drive. It was performing very poorly at first, not shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th without feathering the gas. (automatic) I ran it up and down the highway for around an hour, it seemed to slowly improve. Eventually got to the point that it ran quite well. error code p0101 was still coming up with no check engine light. I am assuming the gradual performance improvement was due to some pieces of the pre-cat stuck into the main cat? My thoughts are that it eventually cleaned out and it ran very well in the end. The truck is louder, but this is definitely tolerable. I should have joined this forum first....after close to $600 on new distributor and map sensor....after talking with you for 5 min, you diagnosed and fixed my truck and it cost me $18. Haha, oh well, the distributor was needed for a while now anyway, and maybe my new sensor will improve performance.
Thanks again, I even had time to put my new tonneau cover on today!
You rock
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Very glad that you got this resolved.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Glad it all worked out. Disconnect both battery cables for three minutes. Then reconnect them. This will force a PCM relearn for your start sequence. Sort of wiping the slate clean and starting over.

- ThunderII KE7CSK