Front Axle Seal

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

jessemonroe
Regular
Regular

Front Axle Seal

Post by jessemonroe »

I believe my front right axle seal is leaking. Can anyone give me some advice on how to change it out. I have incuded a pic on what Im talking about. I just noticed alot of light colored oil all around the area of my Right Front ball joints/Axle and even at the starter. Need assistance ASAP on this. I drive the truck 100 miles round trip to work everyday. Should I expect some major damage if I can't get it fixed till this weekend. Would it be easier just to replace the CV?
Attachments
IMAG0123.jpg
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Front Axle Seal

Post by blaz »

First thing I would do is check the front diff fluid level. It is a quick check and it will tell you how severe the leak is. if you stick your finger in the diff fill hole and can't feel any fluid on your finger then you shouldn't drive it.

Report back after this check and we will try and guide you further.
jessemonroe
Regular
Regular

Post by jessemonroe »

Well the differentail has oil in it. Im not sure if this is leaking from the CV Joint or not. It doenst seem like engine oil but up above the cv joint and above the starter there is oil leaking from around the seal there and it it looks like oil is comming from the freeze plugs.... There is also a leak around the gasket where the cv joint goes into the front diff. I have included some pictures to hopefully explain things. Help is really appreciated.
Attachments
DSCF0416.JPG
DSCF0417.JPG
DSCF0420.JPG
DSCF0421.JPG
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check the intake and distributor gaskets. Front and rear main seals too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jessemonroe
Regular
Regular

Post by jessemonroe »

Ok I wiped down the cv joint last night and this afternoon there is differential oil on the ouside just above the boot. So would this be from the inner seal leaking. If so would it be easier to replace the seal or replace the whole CV Joint. There is no knocking in the front end at all. If its easy to replace the seal some advice and directions on how to do so would be great. Thanks for all the help.
jessemonroe
Regular
Regular

Post by jessemonroe »

I really find it discouraging that no body on this forum would be willing to give advice on how to change out the front axle seal.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I can tell you how I do it. I drop the axle assembly and fix it on the bench. I would replace all the seals and the axle tube gasket.
I have been busy , as perhaps others have been? I have not had time to consult the manual for the recommended procedure. Sorry.
You might sign up with Autozone and use their repair manuals for some ideas? I do that from time to time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I too am facing a leaking RH front axle seal and it will also need the needle bearing replaced on that side as well. With a unit over 100k on it HJ is most likely correct in that the best way to do it is drop the front differential assy and do it on the bench replacing all the seals at once and any bearings if needed as in my case. I have replaced the RH axle seal without removal of the assembly before. You have to remove the cv axle on that side which requires removal of the outboard spindle so you have room to remove the axle. I have removed the axle by removing the wheel, disc brake components, rotor, and spindle. Then turn the steering wheel hard right and lock the column so it does not return. At that time the axle shaft may be removed by tapping the inner end outward till it disengages the internal retaining ring on the inside end. Pull the inside end outward till it clears the differential seal and output shaft and swing it away and out of the steering knuckle. You can then access the seal and pry it out taking care not to dislodge the needle bearings directly inside the housing. Tap the new seal in again taking care not to dislodge those needle bearings and re-assemble the axle and brake components in reverse order of removal. Again when putting the axle back into the housing on the inner end take care to make sure you re-engage the internal lock ring and DO NOT DISLODGE ANY OF THE NEEDLE BEARINGS where the inner end of the axle runs.

This is not the manual recommended procedure but I have used it and it works.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
jessemonroe
Regular
Regular

Post by jessemonroe »

Have any of you heard of changing the seal without removing the cv joint. I saw a good video of this being done on a tahoe. The cv joint and the axle were seperated and the cv joint moved over. Then the vehicle was put into 4hi to lock the gears and then the axle tube removed from the differental. Just wondering if this would work on the S10
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Couldn't do that on mine. I tried and there was not enough room.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.