P0101 experience

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

hootz
Regular
Regular

P0101 experience

Post by hootz »

I recently had trouble with a code P0101 and wanted to post my findings. I have a cold air intake and what looked like a K&N air filter (it was on the truck when I bought it). It was dirty and assuming that it was a K&N, cleaned and oiled the filter. About two weeks later I started to get a Mass Air Flow code, P0101. I thought it was a fluke so cleared the code and went on. A week later it came back and after clearing it a second time came back for the third time a few days later. I did some research and found out that what I thought was a K&N filter was actually a dry element filter. First thing I did was clean the filter and let dry. I then removed the Mass Air Flow sensor and removed the screen. Carefully using a Q-Tip and alcohol I cleaned the sensor strips which were thick with black soot. Let everything dry overnight and have not had trouble with this code since. The two main points of this experience were:

1) K&N swears that their oil will not cause Mass Air Flow Sensor problems when used CORRECTLY. I was probably too generous with the filter oil and used too much. When I made the first pass with the oil and then saw some white parts of the filter I re-applied oil to the entire filter; bad move, I should have lightly touched up the lighter parts. If you are using a K&N type filter it needs to be oiled to properly filter but too much oil is just as bad as not enough.

2) It has been said on this forum before but to re-affirm: it is not always necessary to use the expensive Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner, it can be cleaned with a cotton swab and alcohol (be gentle!).
Last edited by hootz on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 S-10 CrewCab..Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: P0101 experience

Post by HenryJ »

Sound advice. I don't have personal experience with an over oiled filter , but have heard of it many times.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK