Replacement CV Axle

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

hootz
Regular
Regular

Replacement CV Axle

Post by hootz »

First off a disclaimer: I don't off road this truck so all I looked for was OEM quality. I do need 4WD in bad winter weather to get to work but that is about it.
As we all know a keyed torsion bar lift is hard on the CV axles due to the exaggerated angles. Mine is a about a 2" lift. I had a torn outer CV boot when I first bought the truck and replaced the boot with a Dorman universal fit. The Dorman didn't work out; the material is very thin as it is designed to work with a boot gun which stretches the boot with a special tool and allows boot installation without disassembling the axle. When the Dorman boot gave out I decided to replace the axle. I found that Autozone and Oreilly both sold reman axles built by Cardone. They were priced about the same so I asked both stores about the warranty. Oreilly would not warranty a boot failure and said they would start asking a lot of questions if more than two warranty axles were honored. Autozone said the boot failure would be covered (I didn't volunteer the truck was lfted to either store) and no limits on the number of warranties. Both Autozone and Oreilly seemed to use different vendors for their new axles which were both produced offshore and imported. The replacement reman axle I bought from Autozone was solid and the boots were the older style boots instead of the late model style. When I used to wrench I wouldn't touch Autozone with a ten foot pole but now I include them when searching for parts and have found sometimes they are the best choice.
2003 S-10 CrewCab..Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Replacement CV Axle

Post by HenryJ »

It is a competitive market and Autozone is working very hard to be in it. I like what I see locally. Be sure to ask if they have any discounts available. I have received 15% off a couple times just for asking. Getting to know the counter person helps too :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have had good luck with Advance Auto here locally. Once signed up online, I receive periodic discounts from 5-20% off. Of course, once I followed Brule's suggestion and got in cozy with the manager and assistant mgr things go allot smoother for me.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

I have found that Advance Auto is competitive as far as price. I usually give them the first shot. In the case of CV axles their only choice is GSP; I found better reviews of Cardone.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Our local Advance usually can't keep help, but Auto Zone has turned out better for me. At Advance there's not mant\y that know what a catalog is, just what's in the computer. I've had them tell me that something would not work because the computer didn't say it would. My answer to them usually is "I was doing this before you were born, give me what I ask for!'
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

rlrnr53 wrote:Our local Advance usually can't keep help, but Auto Zone has turned out better for me. At Advance there's not mant\y that know what a catalog is, just what's in the computer. I've had them tell me that something would not work because the computer didn't say it would. My answer to them usually is "I was doing this before you were born, give me what I ask for!'
I usually do a lot of research before I ever walk in a parts store. I know what I want and the part number. I have also already shopped for the best price and know which particular store has the part I want in stock.
I went in to buy a battery once and decided to upgrade to the next size up. The counter person all but refused to sell it to me because the computer didn't show the battery I wanted as fitting my vehicle.
When I bought the upgrade alternator for my Crew Cab I just gave them part numbers for the alternator and longer belt; I just wasn't up for the argument.
I saw this problem rear its' ugly head many years ago while working at a Chevrolet dealership. The general manager told the parts manager that they were strongly considering purchasing an electronic parts catalog system as "anybody could find the right part if they didn't have to use the paper catalog".
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

To me paper catalogs have so much more information, most stores have them, but very few know how to use them.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]