R & R Parking Brake shoes

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Bobc40

R & R Parking Brake shoes

Post by Bobc40 »

I was looking through my repair manual for my 2003 S-10(Haynes Repair Manual). It tells me to pull straight down to remove parking brake shoe. Mine is the oppiste I have to pull up on it. Is this a concern replaceing shoes, backing plates, axle bearing and seals later today. I will be looking closely at what is gpoing on hope the axle isn't flip or something
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: R & R Parking Brake shoes

Post by HenryJ »

It should not really matter which way the assembly is clocked for this application. The Helm's manual (GM OEM manual) states:

Removal procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle and suitably support.
2. Remove wheel and tire.
3. Remove caliper.
4. Remove rotor
5. Remove Park Brake shoe assembly by sliding the shoe towards the hold down spring until the shoe is disengaged from the spring.
6. Remove the shoe from the actuation mechanism.
7. Clean debris and dust from the components.
8. Turn adjustment screw to the fully home position in the notched adjustment nut, then back it off 1/4 turn.
9. Align slots in both adjusting screw and tappet to be parallel with the backing plate face.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Bobc40

Post by Bobc40 »

Thanks Henry, that's what I was hopeing it was, in the prosses of putting everything back together now
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Were your shoes really worn?
What does the Haynes manual say about clearance adjustment? This post may be helpful
Park Brake Shoe Adjustment
Tools Required
A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge

Proper adjustment requires a tool for checking the air gap between the drum (rotor hat) and the shoes. It is like a large caliper. (GM# J 2117-A Drum to Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge) KD Tools also makes one. I think it was close to $50

Important

The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.
1. Set the tool so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.
2. Position the tool over the shoe and the lining at the widest point.
3. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the tool.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
5. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).
I was surprised at just how little lining they have new. The lining is ceramic, so they do last a very long time. For best life the brake needs to be applied periodically. This centers the shoe.
Two things I have seen decrease the lifespan. Never using the brake. Offroad use can tend to bounce the shoe to one side wearing it as it rubs the drum. The other is driving with the brake applied. That is self explanatory :)

I have probably replaced one or two that REALLY needed replacement. most of the time just some adjustment would have done it.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Bobc40

Post by Bobc40 »

The shoe on one side was soaked with axle grease and on the other side looked like the shoe wasn't in that retaining clip. And both looked like they were stating fall apart. Plus the parking brake did not work. I do have a brake shoe calipair but it barely reached the shoes over the hub I guess I need one for a truck. Got them adjusted the old fashion way took awhile but it's done :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You replaced the axle seals too right?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Bobc40

Post by Bobc40 »

oh yes that would be a waiste of time if I didn't lol
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thought so! Just wanted to clarify it for the inexperienced that are reading this to help themselves with their parking brake shoe installation.

- ThunderII KE7CSK