15165891 front diff switch

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

15165891 front diff switch

Post by jeggers »

Hey guys,

well working on the new to me truck, the front axle will not engage. last week i replaced m acuator, and she pulled in fine. This week the accuator is not pulling in and I cant find the vacuum valve. I have read its near the distributor and on the firwall, but I cant find it. Its like the vacuum line goes down towards the trans. If some one has a pic that would be great. :shrug:
Last edited by jeggers on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 15165891 front diff switch

Post by HenryJ »

Wow, that is hard to read. I am not really sure what is what with all the spelling errors.

The transfercase switch that activates the front axle actuator is on the transfercase. There is a sticky with pictures and part numbers at the head of this forum.
The switch on the front axle sets the light and acknowledges that the shift fork has moved to the engaged position.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Ya I should not try and spell on no sleep. Thanks I will look for the sticky.
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Well I don't know what this part is

but, I read some of the tread and I see where some of my problems are from, I have some serious vacuum issues. I have been replaceing componets in the HVAC system to fix the venting issues. I have a bad seal between the transfer case and the trans, so its all covered in ATF. :twisted:

I know what I will be doing this week.

Thanks, HJ
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry to hear the bad news about ATF in the HVAC. No bueno.
The switch you show above did not come on the crewcab trucks. That is the vacuum switch that comes with the autotrac transfer case. You must have an auto position on the transfercase switch.
That switch allows the TCC module to engage the front axle rather than "manually" as is done with the transfercase that comes with the crew cab trucks.

More good news...not. Look around your transfercase tailshaft for leaks where there should not be. There is a clip that holds the rear pump on the autotrac that likes to fall off and the pump rocks back and forth sawing holes in the tailshaft housing.
While you're back there make darn sure the fluid is blue. Dextron will ruin that transfercase. You must use the blue Autotrac fluid only.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

I don't have the auto trac, that was my confusion.

Is there a solution for cleaning the hvac system?
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hmm... I must be missing something on that switch then. Must be a "tween year" model thing? My good manuals don't go back that far and my other manuals are not that new. You may have to hit ZR2USA or some of the other s-series forums for better answers.

All the HVAC cleaning is going to be a real pain. Making sure the reservoir is clean is a priority. Do you have the ball? I don't have a good answer on the best method to clean the lines. Many are replacing the lines and components. I seem to recall one member with close to a $2000 bill at the dealer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Sorry for the confution, I don't have the auto track and I dont have that switch. I was looking for it, that was my original Question. I surched the net for a picture.
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wheew! Thought I had lost it :whew:
Yep, that is the wrong switch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
okaussie
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by okaussie »

Mine too was not working. I can use it by running a vacuum hose directly from the front axle actuator straight to the vacuum line off the motor, also switch the switch on the dash to engage the encoder motor. That proves that there is a problem from that actuator to the vacuum source. Mine is due to rotted out vacuum lines from the reservoir to the transfer case switch and the hose from the transfer case switch to the actuator.

My truck just turned over 159K yesterday. It also had the ATF in the lines and I think that those lines got infected too. Just need to replace those too when I have time. It does work perfectly if you hook the line from the actuator straight to the vacuum. That is a good way to check that part of the 4WD out...

Bill
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Where is the reservoir? The line from my acuator heads straight back towards the firewall.
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The line from the actuator goes back to the transfercase switch. The vent line from that switch goes up along side the transmission dip stick tube. The vacuum supply line goes up near the power brake booster. The vacuum reservoir is inside your left front fender. Follow the line just under the fender lip and you will feel the connection nipple.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Ah, I was wondering where that line was going ( inside the fender). Thanks again HJ. I must say I am missing my CC now. I may be turning this ex cab around I got it for a good price. Then go looking for a cc agian.
Last edited by jeggers on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeggers wrote:Ah, I was wondering where that line was going ( inside the fender)......
vacuum reservoir.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]