Odd Engine Noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Odd Engine Noise

Post by paintballrocker »

Hey guys. Recently Ive been having a noise when i start my truck when its cold. It only does it when i start the truck in the morning and when i leave work. It starts as a loud ticking sound, that disappears when the truck completely warms up. The ticking will increase with engine rpm's. Also my oil pressure gauge has been bouncing around, not holding steady like it normally does. And recently on start up my oil pressure gauge will read nothing and the check gauge light comes on, when this happens if i press the gas the oil pressure will increase but then go back to 0. But once it warms up i get normal oil pressure. So im not sure if its a simple exhaust manifold leak or something worse like lifters or rockers. Any advice how to do more in depth trouble shooting or what i can do to remedy it? thanks guys

heres a video of the noise at start up when cold; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYyXD4bG ... e=youtu.be

heres a video showing what the oil pressure gauge does when cold on start up, you can also here the noise too; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpGYKG1 ... e=youtu.be
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Odd Engine Noise

Post by HenryJ »

Yikes. Is the oil level full? You need to check the oil pressure with a real gauge.
The lifters are hydraulic and need oil pressure to operate. With a lack of pressure there will be excessive clearance and the clatter you hear from the rocker arms.

You may be on the road to a rebuild if the level is full and the pressure is as low as it appears.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

HenryJ wrote:Yikes. Is the oil level full? You need to check the oil pressure with a real gauge.
The lifters are hydraulic and need oil pressure to operate. With a lack of pressure there will be excessive clearance and the clatter you hear from the rocker arms.

You may be on the road to a rebuild if the level is full and the pressure is as low as it appears.
Yes the oil is full, actually a tad over the max line. i added too much by accident last oil change. Im going to order new exhaust header gaskets and a oil pressure sensor tomorrow when i get paid. I want to start with the simple sulotions first and work my way to the harder ones if i have to. I really hope it doesnt come down to a rebuild, yikes!
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Put an oil pressure gauge on it to get a pressure reading. Minimum oil pressure is 6 psig at 1000 rpm, 18 psig at 2000 rpm, 24 psig at 4000 rpm.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK