2WD to 4Hi

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2WD to 4Hi

Post by northsnoma »

Replaced my transfercase switch and now I cannot get to 4wd. Had a big snow storm last night and needed to use it, the roads were terrible. First time I pushed the 4HI button I was coasting out of my drive under the alloted speed and it made sort of a "non"-metalic grinding noise. Light successfully went to 4HI but I could barely get up the minimal slope, definently not 4WD. Drove it in 4WD for 150 yards to give it time to switch but never did (light still displaying 4wd). Slowed and switched to 2 HI, gave it time to switch, then back to 4wd with same results. Only made the "grinding" noise the first 2 attempted true switches from 2 to 4wd then never again. Pulled on to the main road and barely made it up wimpy hill, fishtailing with any touch of the gas (with other motorists around :!: ) . Got to the top and pulled over to crawl under the car to check the switch, everything OK. Air'd down the tires to 25 and proceeded to almost die twice and be half an hour late to work with my boss calling me as I pull in the lot :shrug:
2002 Sonoma Crew
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 2WD to 4Hi

Post by rlrnr53 »

Sounds like the vacuum hoses are on wrong. try taking them off and turning the connector around. It's easy to get them on wrong if you're not careful.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

Well I know for fact that I aligned it up with the tab (paint marker'd it) so I cant imagine that would be the problem. Perhaps my vacuum lines are on their last legs in this weather
2002 Sonoma Crew
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You could well have a vacuum leak but, the light shouldn't show solid if, you were not in 4 high.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]