Rear Locked Need to know if I am an idiot

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Sven

Rear Locked Need to know if I am an idiot

Post by Sven »

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, first post!, and I am in trouble of course.

My drive train was making a whining noise. I replaced all drive train fluids and the front wheel hubs. It still made noise then the rear just started grinding. I towed it to S T S out of desperation. They want $3,000 to put a rebuild rear on the truck, axles and differential. I was a bit shocked.

So I basically have to order a rebuilt rear end and do it myself. My issue is that the truck is at S T S. Can I disconnect\remove the drive shaft, put it in 4WD and drive it home (about 8 miles)?

Can anyone recommend a place to get a whole new rear end, I'm in NJ?

My truck is a 2003 ZR5 Crew. I know its the 7 5/8 ring, but I don't know the ratio. Can anyone help me?

Thanks all.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear Locked Need to know if I am an idiot

Post by HenryJ »

If the rear is toast, pulling the shaft is not going to help.

Look for a ZR2 rear axle to replace the one you have. That is the best way to go. There are a few good threads on the bolt in swap.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Sven

Post by Sven »

Hi, thanks for your reply,

Removing the drive shaft is not my permanent fix. I was just wondering if I would hurt anything if I drove it in 4WD with the rear drive shaft removed for about 8 miles? I am going to order a whole rebuilt differential and axles, but I need to get her home to work on it.

sry for the confusion.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I wasn't confused. If the rear axle differential , pinion or wheel bearings are damaged, removing the drive from the back is not going to help. It will still have problems rolling. Removing the rear shaft will require fabricating a way to seal the rear of the transfercase so you don't leak fluid. You could give it a shot, but if it is towable, that might be easier. If it is indeed damaged, a trailer may be the best option.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It is possible to drive without the rear driveshaft connected (I've seen it done), but you have to put something like a bag with a rubber band over the end of the transmission tailshaft to prevent fluid from escaping and leaving a trail behind you. If the rear end has serious damage inside like broken teeth it is possible that it could lock up so make sure you drive slow on the way home and stop every couple miles to make sure everything looks ok and that your not losing fluid.

$3k is way too much for a rebuilt rear end, especially the weak 7.6"! A good used 8.5" rear end from a ZR2 is a much better option!

Steve
Sven

Post by Sven »

Awesome. I would like to get a ZR2.

I found one:
2000 s10 zr2 8.6" 10 bolt 3.73s and posi with discs

So this will be a bolt in replacement for my 2003 s10 zr5 4x4 with a 7.625 rear with discs? If so I am very excited!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have not personally done this conversion, but as far as I know it is a direct bolt in swap using the factory Crew Cab leaf springs. The ZR2 axle is also a few inches wider than the CC axle which makes the front and rear track about the same.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Sven

Post by Sven »

Alright. I bought a ZR2 rear axle from what I am told was a blazer/s-10.

Everything went pretty smooth so far, but I have run into a problem and I need some expert advice.

When I went to reattach the drive shaft, I noticed that the mount on the diff that holds the u joint is different and it doesn't seems to want to fit with my current u-joint.

What is my best course of action here? I can post pics when I get home.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pics will help. Do you know what year the donor vehicle was?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Sven wrote:Awesome. I would like to get a ZR2.

I found one:
2000 s10 zr2 8.6" 10 bolt 3.73s and posi with discs

So this will be a bolt in replacement for my 2003 s10 zr5 4x4 with a 7.625 rear with discs? If so I am very excited!
It looks to be a 2000....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sven wrote:...

When I went to reattach the drive shaft, I noticed that the mount on the diff that holds the u joint is different and it doesn't seems to want to fit with my current u-joint.

What is my best course of action here? I can post pics when I get home.
Measure the size difference and get a new u-joint that will convert to that size. Easy find.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Is the Crew Cab u-joint too wide or not wide enough or are the bearing caps a different diameter? What problem are you having fitting the CC driveshaft/u-joint to the ZR2 pinion yoke?

Steve
Sven

Post by Sven »

I found that the ujoint I had was a 3r/S44 Saginaw ujoint and the size on the yoke was 13605 (i think , going by memory). I found a conversion ujoint for $33 and installed it. So it seemed like an easy fix, but getting the ujoint out of the Aluminum drive shaft was difficult.

I had to heat the end of it with a propane torch until 'stuff', which I guess an anti-corrosion agent, popped out of the hole on the side of the driveshaft. Once that pressure was gone I could get the ujoint out.

There is no anti corrosion agent on the new ujoint, I covered it liberally with anti seize and installed. Hopefully that does something.

Anyway, I put it all back together and it runs like a champ. Though, in a totally unrelated matter, my radiator cracked ... if its not one thing its the other.

thanks everyone for their help.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The factory u joints are held in place by nylon that was injected though those little holes. I'm guessing this was done to speed up manufacturing? The only way to remove the factory u-joint is to melt the nylon out. Replacement u joints are held in with traditional retaining clips. There is no need for anti-seize on u-joints, but it won't hurt it either. If they are greaseable make you lube them once in a while.

Steve