Differential Fun now with even more car-nage pics!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Differential Fun now with even more car-nage pics!

Post by Indigo04 »

The rear diff on my 04 CC decided to crap out on me. So that leads me to this question since s10 4x4 rears are like hens teeth out here. Can I use a 98+ Blazer diff to replace this junky one I have now? All 98+have rear disc brakes as does my 04 CC. Is there anything goofy I need to know about as well.

Thanks,
Don
Last edited by Indigo04 on Wed May 02, 2012 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Differential Fun

Post by killian96ss »

I would upgrade to a ZR2 8.5" 10 bolt instead of putting another 7.6 back there. It is a bolt in upgrade.

Steve
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

Only problem is I have the 3.42 gears and all zr2's are 3.73. The only mods on this truck are chopped up air box and I removed the hemi thingy off the TB blade with a dremel. I don't wanna pay a extra $100 for hp tuners credits to fix the speedo.
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What "crapped out"? Can you just swap guts?

Otherwise, as long as it was a 4x4, you should be able to swap.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

Long story short, the rear diff locked up on me coming to a stop sign. Made it to my destination with the truck in 4x4, front diff exploded and quit pulling the truck about 4 miles later. Now both of the driveshafts can spin freely and the truck don't move.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you need both ends, swap to the ZR2 stuff.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

I swapped the guts from a 98 g80 axle into my once open rear diff today. Works great, now for my next question is I have vacuum at the actuator all the time 2wd or4 it don't matter so I'm sure that has contributed to the death of the 4wd front diff. I'm guessing that with having the vacuum all the time something has gotten chewed up like in this video. Vac switch was bad and has been replaced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4AnKG3aOIw

Hopefully it's something stupid as to why the actuator has vacuum all the time. If worst case I had to swap out the front diff I got as well from the 98 blazer, how bad of a job is the front to swap out?

Also I rebuilt the entire rear axle with new races, seals and wheel bearings. It is nice and quiet back there now. I forgot to mention the 98 blazer my new stuff came from had only 98K miles on it.

Now for the carnage pics.

Last edited by Indigo04 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Differential Fun now with carnage pics!

Post by Indigo04 »

And more, I found the cause of the front diffs death.

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

There is a bright side to this. At least you know that magnet in the differential cover is working.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

I Don't think there was a magnet on the broken diff cover. I do know that the donor axle diff cover has a magnet on it and it works, as it is on the truck now.

Also now that I swapped the vacuum switch the truck don't feel like it's draggin a anchor behind it.
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

Mmmm more broken parts from the front diff!

Stub gear thingie sheared in half!

Seems to work good now with a new front diff, lol Photobucket changed their editor, i need to figure it out...right click and view image.

Now to change the ball joints, idler arm, fab up a steering damper and get some decent A/T tires.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Differential Fun now with even more car-nage pics!

Post by ApproachMedium »

Interesting, your passenger side door has a dent in it, in exactly the same location mine does. I figured our old idiot neighbor backed in to it, I think she drove by braille.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

I think there is a dent in the same spot on the drivers side too. They were on the truck when I got it. I have to admit though, I cracked up at the drive by braille comment.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Hahha glad that made you laugh. One of the older members in my model railroad club was telling me how much he likes the backup sonar on his new chevy cruze because hes now 76 years old cant see so great and has to drive by braille. Keep going till you feel the bump them stop. So thats where I stole it from lol.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ