Rear passenger brake dragging.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Last few weeks my truck has been making a bad on and off Squeel. I tracked it down to my rear passenger brake. You can see "chatter" marks on the disc. I guess the pads or caliper is flawed now. I never done anything to brakes beside change pads. Any ideas what I should look at when I take the tire off? Funny tid bit, it seems like it squeals more when making a left turn. Not a wheel bearing! lol.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear passenger brake dragging.

Post by HenryJ »

Caliper slide pins stuck?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hmm. I'll check that. The marks on the disc are like C shaped. All over the disc, no just one spot incase it's warped. So it seems to me (doesn't mean much) the pads or dragging so something with the caliper must be amiss. Idk, I'll have dad look too, hes more knowledgable.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It could be a seized caliper slide pins or a stuck caliper piston. Since your familiar with changing pads, take them off and have a look at them. Is there anything imbedded in the pads, are they wearing unevenly, are they cracked from high temps? Check both sides of the rotor to see it there are any deep grooves, uneven wear, bluing from high heat, etc.
Open the bleeder screw on the caliper and then with a large c-clamp or similar brake piston tool push the caliper piston all the way in until it stops and then close the bleeder screw. This will break loose any corrosion that may be causing the piston to get stuck and it will force the dirty fluid out the bleeder instead of forcing it up through the ABS and master cylinder. Regrease the caliper slide pins with synthetic high temp caliper grease, and thoroughly spray down the rotor and wear surface of each pad with brake cleaner before reinstalling. If the slide pins have a lot or corrosion, just replace them.
Another area to look at if you have time or if the stuff above doesn't solve the problem is the parking brake. Take the rotor off and make sure the parking brake inside the rotor isn't seized up or worn out needing replacement. Make sure the cable going into the backing plate moves freely and isn't binding or seized up.

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I had the same problem with my left rear caliper. Go to the parts store, buy a new caliper (or two for good measure) complete with bracket. Replace the entire assembly, bleed braking system on BOTH rear calipers regardless whither you change just the one thats having the problem or both. Get all of that cummy fluid out of there.

Changing out with a new caliper with bracket will completely replace all of your slide pin problems. On my truck the driver side one pin got stuck in and the passenger side one pin was stuck out so if i hit the brakes hard enough the truck would eventually go sideways. When it finally got to be its worst the left caliper blew out a new set of ceramic pads in two weeks. I dont recommend trying to redo the slide pins with new grease etc. as I tried that once and that gave me about 3-4 months and blew out a set of pads.

Steve's suggestion to check the parking brake while you are in there is also good to do as well.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Buddy of mine helped me dig into it this weekend. We went for a ride and discovered its not the rear passenger, but the front passenger making all the noise. We tore into it, and quickly discovered the pads (highly suspected before this) were gone. I had new rears, but needed to get the fronts, we decided to remove the caliper before getting new front pads.

Welled discovered you can't remove the top caliper bolt on the front because the top of the a-arm, where the ball joint is, it's grease fitting. Was blocking the bolt from coming all the way out. We tried removing just the slide pins but that wouldn't work. So out came the grinder. Grinder part of the "lip" on that metal off, and the screw came right out. Great job Chevy.

After that it wasn't a big deal. Looks like my problem is gone. Had a small dragging sound after from the rear brake, think it was some small piece of brake pads sheet metal thing that spans both pads? Dragging. It either wore down some or settled in because it seems to have stopped.

I'm glad it was just pads! I really didn't think they were bad. But oh well, better than replacing calipers.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Still not over! When I rolled out there was a kinda metal dragging sound from the drivers rear brake. My buddy had a hard time removing the pad and accidentally bent that little sheet metal piece in the caliper. I thought the sound went away, but it's back and worst. So guess I need to tear back into that caliper and fix that sheet metal piece is there any way to get a new one of those?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

fallvitals wrote: So guess I need to tear back into that caliper and fix that sheet metal piece is there any way to get a new one of those?
Advance auto parts sells them as part of a Disc Brake Hardware Kit for $10

*Edit: Actually this one from Autozone specifically says "rear" and it's only $6. So, that might be the better option.

Advance probably has the rear set too but the front kit came up on the first page of search results and I'm not quite bored enough to view all 48 pages to find the rear set.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:......................Advance probably has the rear set too but the front kit came up on the first page of search results and I'm not quite bored enough to view all 48 pages to find the rear set. [/i]
:roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thanks for that link! I figured that would be something you couldn't get or pay a insane amount for. Although I went to order it online from autozone and it said I didn't enter enough (quantity) or something like that... Only need one boys!