Broken Axle Shaft

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Broken Axle Shaft

Post by JaVeRo »

My wife called from the mail route today and said she thought the transmission went out. She heard a bang and then no power. She heard a clattering or grinding noise when she put it in park (that was the parking pin). I figured it was the transfer case since something inside the transmission was still turning.

When I got there with the trailer, I had her put it in gear and the driveshaft was turning. I figured it must be the differential then. She put it in 4wd and drove it on the trailer.

While still on the trailer, I pulled the diff cover and everthing looked good. I put it in neutral and turned the driveshaft, thats when I figured out the right side axle shaft I bought from Napa (balkamp brand) in august last year had broke. Looking down the side of the truck it was apparent that the rear tire was leaning compared to the front.

Two questions.

Can someone recommend a better quality axle shaft?

What are the chances that it screwed up the bearings or axle housing?

She was going about 30 mph on a dirt road when it broke. This is actually on her red S10 blazer but it's the same axle as the crewcabs.

Napa has a limited lifetime warranty on this part but I would rather not replace a crappy part with another crappy part.

Thanks,
James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Broken Axle Shaft

Post by HenryJ »

I guess you'll have to pull it down to know for sure. The bearing is not pressed on the axle so there is some room to move without damage to the housing. Check to see if the bearing is still tight in the housing. If it is, I think you'll be fine. The least expensive option is to warranty the axle and buy a new bearing. You could try to find a good used axle or spend the big $$ on an aftermarket.
I have run Moser Engineering axles for years with no failures.
I had a set of Yukon axles pit and flake in under 5k miles.
That is all the experience that I can offer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I would also recommend Moser axles. I've used them on 2 vehicles without any problems and I'm curently running them in my SS. Alloy is another good brand. I have their axles in my 4wd 88 S10 Blazer. Timken bearings and seals are also high quality parts.

The wheel bearing and seal were most likely damaged when the axle snapped and tilted the rear tire, but you won't really know until you pull it out. Keep us updated and post pics if you can.

Steve
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I got the truck back together last night. Since I am still using Win 98, I cannot access the photobucket editor to resize the pic so I will post a link:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/ ... 613584.jpg

I thought since the wheel didn't fall off while loading the truck that the axle must have been broke about midshaft. I was wrong. The only thing holding it was the brake caliper with the weight sitting on the parking brake adjuster. When I started backing off the trailer, the whole thing just folded out. I stuck a jack under it and drug the trailer out from under the front.

The axle broke right at the flange. The bearing and seal were still good. I should have replaced the seal anyway but I needed to get it going. I took the axle back to Napa this morning before I thought about getting a picture of it.

I robbed an axle shaft out of one of the crewcabs that is waiting for an intake gasket. I have a ZR2 complete axle I plan on putting in it. The Napa replacement axle will get me by until then. I just need to be able to move it around when I get ready to work on it. I also robbed the caliper slide bracket. Everything else seems to be ok. I am hoping I don't have to replace the plate that the caliper bolts to. Got my fingers crossed.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Oh man... You have me scared now.. Both my axle shafts are from Napa....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

My wife runs 117 miles per day, 62 of it is dirt road. I don't think most people would have a problem. I replaced the axle back last august because the old axle was grooved pretty bad where the bearing was running. I wish now I had just put a repair bearing in and kept the old axle.

Bad things keep happening to her trucks on the right side first. I think she may be driving by braille.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have 2.5 inch spacers on the back.. I bet that will give them a work out...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Just an update in case someone finds this thread later.

The Napa (Balkamp) axle was made in India.

I emailed Reider Racing about the Alloy USA brand. The only thing they had listed for the S10 was up to a 1998 model. There was a notice in with the Napa axle that GM changed the axle length by about 1/4 inch sometime about mid year 1998. I asked about an Alloy brand axle for the 1999 and later and this was their response:
[
James,

I don’t know if the do or not. You might give them a call and see.

Thanks,

Jim
At least they did respond, I emailed Alloy USA and never got a response back.

There was a post here just recently about someone using an axle only to find the length was a 1/4 inch off. I don't remember who it was.

Moser does still have the axle listed, they are sold in pairs. The $270 for the Moser axles is a much better deal than the $200+ I paid last august for a single axle with the bearing and seal at Napa.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

I like your piss on gun control sticker, and it being delivering mail even better. I wish your wife delivered our mail.
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I like your piss on gun control sticker, and it being delivering mail even better.
Thanks, that sticker was on the truck before she started using it on the mail route. I am surprised she hasn't pulled it off to keep from offending anyone.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed