Front Right Axle

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Front Right Axle

Post by Horsehammerr »

I just pulled my front right axle half shaft so I could change the axle seal. After I got the seal out I noticed the bearing just inside the seal. I don't think it's complete since, the needle bearings are exposed with no race inside of them for the half axle to ride in. I don't have a race on the half axle either. Just open air between the axle and the needle bearings. What's missing ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Front Right Axle

Post by killian96ss »

Any chance you can post a pic of the area in question?

Steve
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Well, after a little more thought and closer attention to the Tri-pot I discovered the bearing race is part of the Tri-pot. All is good. 8) I'm talking about the inner CV joint housing where it slides into the Half-shaft, ( the short extension shaft between the differential and the axle) at least I call it a Half-shaft ? :blink: I tried to remove the axle seals under my CC but way to tight to get the right angle with my handy pry bar. So I just unbolted the coverplate on the driver side and pulled the "Half-shaft" on the Passenger side. I'm trying to decide if I will break down my axles and put the new CV boots on or figure out, which are the BEST replacement axles ? :? I got 160,000 out of these originals so I wonder if I should just put them back on and trust them or replace. :roll:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The CV axles are also called halfshafts and as you already know tripot. The front diff has a CV axle "output shaft tube" on the passenger side.
160k is a lot of miles. If it's in your budget, replace both CV axles, and if not, just fix the leaking boot. If you have to wait on the axles, at least you know how to do the job now. I still highly recommend "new" NAPA CV axles.

Steve
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

killian96ss wrote:The CV axles are also called halfshafts and as you already know tripot. The front diff has a CV axle "output shaft tube" on the passenger side.
160k is a lot of miles. If it's in your budget, replace both CV axles, and if not, just fix the leaking boot. If you have to wait on the axles, at least you know how to do the job now. I still highly recommend "new" NAPA CV axles.

Steve
Thanks for the advise Steve ! The search is on, my local NAPA acts like I'm dreaming when I ask about new Cardone Select axles. I am a " Never say Die type 1", so I will find the right ones. :rock:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

In replacing CV Boots how much grease should be placed in the joint and boot for proper lubrication ? The EMPI boot kits I got come with a small pack of CV grease for each boot. For sure not as much as I cleaned out from stock boots. :!: :?:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Horsehammerr wrote:In replacing CV Boots how much grease should be placed in the joint and boot for proper lubrication ? The EMPI boot kits I got come with a small pack of CV grease for each boot. For sure not as much as I cleaned out from stock boots. :!: :?:
Anyone have a Clue ? :blink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The boot replacement kits I use come with pre-measured packets.
Each packet is enough for each boot.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

HenryJ wrote:The boot replacement kits I use come with pre-measured packets.
Each packet is enough for each boot.
Mine as well but it is a lot smaller amount than what was in the original stock boots .