Fuel pump AGAIN???

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fuel pump AGAIN???

Post by PATRICKH »

Driving home last night the truck just lost power. Pressed on the gas and the truck slowed down more. I pulled over to the shoulder and the idle was very rough. If I pressed on the gas it got worse. I shut it off and it will not start at all now. As I cranked it the engine was bucking like crazy, but not firing.

I had it towed to the shop and was told that it started this morning, but as he was pulling it into the bay it died again and will not start. Two hrs later he called back to say it was the fuel pump. (quoted me $1,000)

I had it replaced in 07 and have put about 65,000 miles on the Delphi pump. Just doesnt seem right. Anyone agree with the dignosis or ??

My first thought was ignition control module, as it started again this morning after it had cooled off. (it was 98+ when this happened)

Any ideas, thoughts?
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Fuel pump AGAIN???

Post by HenryJ »

Pump. Make sure you install the Delphi pump and install the new connector with the bigger terminals this time. Failures are being blamed on the stock connector and very small terminals. Low voltage is the culprit, or so they say.
The Delphi pump DFP FG0070 is $309.81 and come with the new connector pigtail. Labor usually runs about the same. I think you can get one installed for about $400 less than that quote. Better yet, install it yourself and pocket the extra $600?
Too bad you're not closer, I'd help ya out for a cold one.

Run good fuel. Keep it at or above half a tank. Fuel is the cooling fluid for the pump. Change the fuel filter regularly. That will help a pump last longer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Yeah, I'd take you up on that one. My father in law was a mechanic in southern CA for years and said he'll come out of retirement for this one!

I wanted to do it myself the first time around, but we were living in an apartment and didn't have the place to do it. BUT, I've got my own garage now and we're gonna do it. Price for the Dephi here is $329. Going to wait till monday, calling for temps in the 100's all weekend. Thanks for the info as always.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We are just about to hit the century mark this week. Monday is forecast 103°-108°, We always get a week or so of the 100°+ weather. I am never ready for it. :whew:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Our temps haven't been that hot, but many in the area still don't have power due to the storm last Friday 6/29. We were lucky and only lost power for about 24 hrs.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Yeah, hate it for those that were hit hard. We went to the NASCAR race at the Kentucky Speedway on 6/30 and dealt with 100+ degree temps there. Still beats shoveling snow.....

Stay cool
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Well, we attempted it. I broke the front tank strap bolt. Went to undo the rear strap bolt and the nut up inside the frame is spinning. SOOO, seeing as I'm not brave enough to use a torch near the gas tank, using the money I had put back for vacation and taking it to another shop in town. They quoted me $700 to do the pump and replace the rear pinion seal.

I know I know man up and torch the SOB off, but it aint gonna happen...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm not man enough to torch around the tank. Sawzall or bolt cutters. Soaking with penetrant a week or so before would have been a very good idea. We forgot to mention that :oops:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

If you have air tools a cut off wheel works good, second would be sawzall just make sure you see what your cutting well (or could be.) Same thing happened to me with the nut spinning. I was able to get a nut up in their and hold it down with a screwdriver while staring the bolt in.
2002 Sonoma Crew
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

I did hit it with PB Blaster 3 days before, but no luck. Do have a sawzall, but at this point, I'm done, too frustrated to do it. May end up making things worse.

We did try the screwdriver trick, but it was too rusted.

On a side note, when the pump went out, it had just rolled over 190,000 miles.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Can't blame ya for bailing. Sometimes the frustration and high blood pressure over something like this is well worth paying to have someone else bleed over it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

I am free this friday, fill my gas tank so I can get down there and back. I'm flat broke. And I will help y'all with this. S truck pumps are easy. I'm up in Greenfield, In. We can replace the strap as needed, and remove the bed and do the job. Should take about a hour or 2. Also get a inline fuel filter that goes on the frame rail, it's cheap $15 insurance as well.

If you want to take me up on my offer PM me and we can exchange info.

Don
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:bonk: This job is way easier if you pull the drive shaft first. Been there, got the scars on my knuckles to remember !
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Indigo04 wrote:I am free this friday, fill my gas tank so I can get down there and back. I'm flat broke. And I will help y'all with this. S truck pumps are easy. I'm up in Greenfield, In. We can replace the strap as needed, and remove the bed and do the job. Should take about a hour or 2. Also get a inline fuel filter that goes on the frame rail, it's cheap $15 insurance as well.

If you want to take me up on my offer PM me and we can exchange info.

Don
Thanks man, I already have it at the garage and seems it was a good thing. The top of the tank where the locking ring is was rusted so bad they couldn't get old pump out, actually called me in to look at it..

So, got a new tank and pump installed for $900. We tried the pick-a-part route, but the ones near us didnt have any or were in worse shape than what I had.

Have the filter ready to go also, that was first thing I bought..And yeah, thought the driveshaft would have to be removed.

Thanks again for the offer, good to know there are people out there that will help ya out.