rear brake rotor removal

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

rear brake rotor removal

Post by Cajun »

I need to change my rear pads and rotors but I can not remove the rotors. I've searched Haynes Manual and this forum and can not find the secret. The calipers and bracks are off and the rotor is loose but will not pull off. Could the parking brake shoe be holding the rotor? I've tried tapping it with a hammer over a block of wood and it still will only move so far. Should I try a wheel puller? With the tranny in neutral the axle turns without brake drag. HELP!!!

Thanks!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: rear brake rotor removal

Post by HenryJ »

Is it rusted to the hub? Have you tried setting and releasing the parking brake to center the e-brake shoe?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It sounds like the parking brake pads are grabbing the ridge on the inside of the rotor where the brake pads have been wearing into. You may have to loosen up the parking brake cable to release some tension to remove the rotor. I'm guessing you already removed the factory rotor retainer that is usually placed on one of the wheel studs to prevent the rotor from falling off during assembly?

Steve
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Got it! Thanks guys. The parking brake drum was rusted between where the parking brake shoe rides and the outside of the drum. This prevented the rotor/drum from being pulled pass the parking brake shoe. Prying with two large screw drivers and putting some a$$ behind it finally pulled it pass the parking brake shoe.

Thanks again!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]