P0440 crank/no start - fuel pump replacement

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

P0440 crank/no start - fuel pump replacement

Post by Lil-j »

Need help, I've had trouble code 440 (evap malfunction) for a few weeks now. Code throws, I clear it and drive. Truck feels fine. Haven't had time to get it in to be looked at plus fixing other things on the truck. Had the code again yesterday, cleared it again, drove home from school stopped for gas and filled up. An hour later I went go somewhere else and the truck cranks but won't start. Can the 440 code have something to with it, like protection for the engine? Or maybe with filling the tank the fuel filter clogged? When it cranks, it sounds like its fuel starved.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: P0440 code and now crank/no start

Post by HenryJ »

Not likely the P0440 code would cause a no start condition, but possible I guess?

P0440 EVAP System No Flow During Purge Possible Causes Setting Conditions:
  • Charcoal canister is loaded with fuel or moisture
    Fuel filler cap is loose, cross-threaded, damaged or wrong part
    Fuel tank, fuel filler neck or fuel sending unit 'O' ring is leaking
    Fuel tank pressure sensor is damaged, disconnected or it failed
    Fuel tank vapor line(s) is clogged, damaged or disconnected
    Purge valve vapor line is clogged, damaged, or disconnected
    Purge or vent solenoid power circuit is open (check the fuse and wiring)
    PCM has failed
The flooded evap canister could cause some problems. Did you "top off the tank" after the nozzle shut Off?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Thank you for replying! Not this time, I usually do though. Any ideas on the crank no start?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Topping off can lead to flooding the evaporative emissions canister. It is best to leave the fuel down in the neck a little. Stop at the first click.
I really don't think the two are related though. P0440 is probably a vent valve problem since you didn't mention a leak in the filler neck.

When was the last fuel filter change? How many miles on the fuel pump?
For the no start condition, start with the basics. Fuel pressure. Depress the schrader valve. Does it squirt? If it does you might need to verify the pressure.
Got spark? Check the cap and rotor. Be careful with that plastic housing! If that looks good...maybe a bad coil?

I have had a fuel pump fail and a coil. Caps and rotors are common too.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Can you hear the fuel pump? Some can run quiet, so have someone turn the key to on, while you listen with the cap off. Mine just went out a month ago, gave no warning, would crank but not start couldn't hear the pump. If that's what it is, don't bother with the bed, just empty the tank as low as you can, then drop it. MUCH easier!
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Nope, cant hear the fuel pump at all. And for grins I checked all the fuses and the relay for the fuel pump. Fuses are fine, relay clicked so that leaves me with fuel pump. And dammit, I filled up before getting hom,e the other day, so got a nice full fuel tank.

By the way Wiley, awesome profile pic.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

How difficult is it to drop the tank, and is there a drain or do I have to siphon?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lil-j wrote:Nope, cant hear the fuel pump at all. .. And dammit, I filled up before getting home ...
Murphy! :panic:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Same with mine, just filled up 20 miles up the road. No drain valve, you will need to siphon. I'd recommend you get a good crank style pump, not the cheap autozone $5 bulb style. Used that one once and it wouldn't work again.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I've got a silly question, I'm guessing the answer is no because nobody has suggested it but....Is there access to it from under the rear seat?
Just trying to figure out as much as I can before tearing stuff apart and spending money I really dont want to spend. Especially if I dont need a pump.
Like I said, I had my son turn the to on and could not hear the fuel pump and I checked the relay in the fuse box under the hood, it clicked so I know thats good.
And what do you guys think of this pump
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 189_0_1597

Or is there a cheaper one you guys can recomend? I dont have a lot of cash to play with as the pump alone will leave me short on money till the 1st of september
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you don't hear the pump, it is a bad pump. There is no access to the pump under the rear seat and it doesn't line up if you wanted to cut a hole.
Don't waste you money on a cheap pump unless you plan to sell the truck in the next couple weeks. That would be an evil trick to play on the next owner, so let them know.
My cost on the Delphi pump DFP FG0070 is just under $310. That is the pump that I would install. The next downgrade is the NAPA pump NFP P75006M listed at $220
I know that Bosch, Carter are junk. Carter/Airtex are the same pump. I still have one with less than 5k miles and under a year old... DOA. I tore it apart to show the poor design and inferior parts. The pump is much smaller than OEM and the wiring tiny.

Anyway...end of rant.

Drop the tank to make the change. Siphon the fuel using a 3/8" hose. Stop buying groceries for the next two months and sell your first born to buy a good fuel pump :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WileyHunter wrote:Can you hear the fuel pump? Some can run quiet, so have someone turn the key to on, while you listen with the cap off. Mine just went out a month ago, gave no warning, would crank but not start couldn't hear the pump.
The fuel pump in my 05 ZR2 died a few days ago in the same way with no warning. I knew right away it was the fuel pump since I couldn't hear it prime anymore.

There are a couple of things I would suggest trying before you run out an buy a new pump. Make sure there is no rust or corrosion on the fuel pump ground wire which can cause all sorts of intermittent problems. You should also make sure you are getting power at the fuel pump. This will rule out any wiring problems.

If you do need a new pump, DO NOT buy one from Autozone! Their fuel pumps are junk Airtex brand. Regardless of where you get a pump, I highly recommend Delphi or AC/Delco. Anything else is seriously a gamble!

Steve
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

HenryJ, your talking about this pump?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul ... 4294963265

The pic of it shows that the pump says carter on it. And the price if your saying this junk.....

Killian, I'll be checking the wiring before doing anything, thanks for the advice. I honestly didnt think of that. Baby steps right?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I have used both Carter and Airtex in the past. If you enjoy changing pumps (I don't) they are for you. Both junk IMOP. Go with delphi or AC or you will regret it. While they too can fail the rate is far less for them. 8)
Last edited by roadrunner on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That one does include the new connector, but you're right...it is junk. If you plan to sell the truck real soon, it might be an option.
Go for the Delphi pump It too has the new connector. The last TSB that I saw related the pump failures to low voltage supplied by the small terminals in the stock connector. The newest fix was to replace the connector with the larger one supplied on the fullzize GM trucks that run the same pump assembly. That is supposed to be the key to no more problems, but still go for the better fuel pump.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Damn!!! Your right, I really dont want to do this again!! I can get a cheaper one from federated today, the delphi one is not available today and is freak'n $359.10.... This sucks!

I go to school during the week and my wife is at home with the kids so I really dont want to leave her at home without a car. AND, $359.10 is a lot of money to me right now! Not factoring tax into the cost of the new pump, that would leave me with $40 for the rest of the month, in short, I'm screwed for right now.

And no, I dont plan on selling my truck any time soon. I'd like to get 2 more years out of it with the 4.3, get another truck for daily driving, then eventually put a cummins in the S-10.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I got ahold of my parts guy at federated, he's getting me the delphi pump for $325! He had a spectra pump for $211
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

At $325 you are not sitting too bad.

You may find it easier to drop the driveshaft to get the tank down. If you have not done it already, soak and wire brush the threads on those tank strap bolts.
Be careful of the tank filler neck if you have the plastic tank. Make sure not to stress it and crack the tank where it attaches.
Get the truck up in the air on stands or a ramp. Make sure you are ready to support the tank while attaching the lines and wiring.
Find a friend to help. Wish I was closer to give you a hand. :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Thanks Henry, I'll let ya know how it goes, wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Well, so far, eh, could be better. Took the drive shaft down from the rear diff. Got the plastic front cover off the tank (metal tank). Broke the threaded part of the front strap, so got a new set of straps. Oddly enough, I only filled one 5gal gas can with siphoned gas and just that wait reduction is making a huge difference, but I'm very suprised at how little gas came out. The fuel filler neck came off the bed no problem but having a big problem trying to seperate it from the tank. Didnt realize it'd be basically just a rubber radiator like hose. Getting that out from between the frame rail and the lower part of the bed will be a problem.
Still have 2 lines connected to the fuel pump that I cant see how those are gonna come off till I can drop the tank dowwn a bit to get room for my hand in there.
Got the rear strap bolt out but the front strap threaded part is gonna be a bitch to get out to slide the tank to the center to get off the carrier. Which will be problem in itself because of the lines still attatched that I cant get off right now.
Is there by chance a step by step for this? Maybe a pop up book?

Oh, I also learned that while going mudding is really really fun, it really really sucks when you are under the truck and mud from a year ago that you though had cleaned is falling in your face. My buddies were getting pissed about that, I kept saying it was fun!
G'night all, tired and going to bed, will check back in the morning before going back to work on the pump.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

This sucks, I can't get the tank down, and I don't want to take off the support bracket
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

The gas line connectors should have a little squeeze tab on them (no tools needed) unless yours is different from mine. If they give you trouble push like you're going trying to make the connection, then squeeze and pull apart. Not sure why you wouldn't have gotten more gas out than that if you just filled the tank, but I'd sure try to get more out as it would make the job easier for you overall.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Last (and only) time I took my tank down I removed the front tank mount bracket as well as dropping the driveshaft. Perhaps not necessary but was certainly easier IMOP.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Tank support bracket had to come, no choice. Came down a lot easier than I thought it would. But the filler neck still is not wanting to come off the tank. Also, noticed on the new pump, the wiring for it doesn't match, but there is an adapter in the bag. What's that all about?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lil-j wrote:... the wiring for it doesn't match, but there is an adapter in the bag. What's that all about?
Follow the directions. You have to cut the old connector off and install the new pigtail.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I thought the bigger one with for stacked was the better one to have though. The new pump comes with inline four pigtail? Does it matter or no?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Look at the terminals. The new one has larger/better contacts. You have to use the new pigtail that comes with the pump. There is no "choice".

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Ok, problem. Im pretty sure how to get around it but don't want to chance it so..

The new pigtail has four wires, same as the old one but the new one has black, gray, purple and orange with black stripe.
Old one has black, gray, purple and black with white stripe.
Should I just match the orange/black with the black with white stripe? I figure yes but wanna be safe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Follow the instruction sheet that came with the pump. Do not assume the colors will match.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I got it now, it's orange/black to black/white.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Having a hard time getting the new pump into tank. Can't get the top of the damn pump to seat into the rubber o-ring/seal. Is there a trick can I put a little lube on the oring?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

When I did mine , I simply dabbed my finger tip in vasaline and wipe a little on the o-ring. It slid together with a little wiggle and pressure.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

This damn thing just doesn't want to go in!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have the ring seated on the pump or in the tank for assembly?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Okay now, got the top of the pump seated after an hour or so of fighting with it. It did not want to go in then it just slipped in and I could get the snap ring in a little at a time. I had it sitting in the tank assembly Henry.

Now I've got the tank up under the truck. Fuel lines are hooked up, and both plugs. Filler hose and vent line are where they need to be. Now it's just trying to get the straps up and in. The front one worries me, it looks like its too long.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

How many of you guys had to replace tank straps when taking the tank down? What part number did you use for the new straps? My buddy broke the strap bolt on the front strap, and got me a new set of straps. Part number ST08, the back one seems good but the front one is too long, am I doing something wrong? It's way too loose and the threaded bolt is threaded all the way. Just trying to see if any one else had this problem.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Here's a link to LMC Truck part cat page with the strap on it, doesn't show GM part #, but does show pic so you can compare. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=126

Good company to deal with, prices can run higher and selection is limited on the CC parts compared to standard cabs.

Edit - did you hold the original up to the replacement to compare the lengths?
zumina
Regular
Regular

Post by zumina »

fuel pump went on my 99 monte carlo z34 yesterday, just replaced it 2 yrs ago.... I feel your pain. worth spending a lil extra cash the first time unless you like dropping tanks.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: P0440 crank/no start - fuel pump replacement

Post by Lil-j »

Are the straps and tank differant for the ZR5 than they are for the LS.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nope. The ZR5 packages was just appearance. There may be a difference between the steel and plastic tanks though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I called the local Chevy dealer, they said the front strap was $70, but it's strap riveted to the bracket. And he said no one in the state has it so it would have to be ordered. So screw it, I can drill a few holes and shorten it. I need my truck done today!
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Just be sure that whatever you use to re-connect the strap pieces doesn't rub against the tank. I would probably use a rounded head on the tank side, instead of a hex head.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

It's alive!!!!!!! I don't ever want to do that again!!!!! More details tomorrow, good night all
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Good deal! I know the feeling of successfully conquering this particular battle. Took me a few days to get the whoop done.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

New problem. Where can I find a gas tank for my truck? I searched all the usual online web stores, autozone etc, and I can't find a tank for the 02 crew cab. It's a steel tank and it's getting rusty, and I got a leak at the top where the pump sits. Will tanks out of the 03-04 work in my truck?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The newer plastic tank will require the filler neck and probably the tank straps, but it should work. I think the last person to do this spent about $1000 ?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Holey crap! $1000?! That's way more than I'm willing to spend! Anyone know where to find the stock fuel tank? I'heard that GM stopped making them.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Yup, just called the Chevy dealer and they said the tank has been discontinued. Best he could tell me was to try napa and see if they cross reference anything else that fits. Tried that and nada! Guess I'm screwed. Thanks GM!
Last edited by Lil-j on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Check pricing at LMCTruck.com
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

car-part.com

Prices start at $50 ( Pickup City, Inc. USA-WV(White-Hall) 1-888-733-2540 153 miles from you. )
Masters Auto Parts USA-MI(Detroit) 313-273-9911 is 108 miles from you. Call for a price.
I see a couple dozen of them scattered across the country.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

WileyHunter wrote:Check pricing at LMCTruck.com
They dont have it, I tried. Not gonna find an aftermarket tank.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

HenryJ wrote:The newer plastic tank will require the filler neck and probably the tank straps, but it should work. I think the last person to do this spent about $1000 ?
LMCTruck does list this one and all components.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Got a link to that? I found a diagram with the tank and all it's parts, cant find one for sale there.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Tried E-Bay?? Perhaps this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-G ... d4&vxp=mtr Says it fits 01 ZR5 crew cab. If not that one I found numerous others through a little searching of links they provided such as: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... tank&rt=nc Should find one new or used there as your tastes or budget dictates. BTW the first one I listed is $109.80 new with free shipping.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Those E-bay links are not for CC gas tanks. I've noticed a lot of adds on E-bay for S10 parts often include ZR5 and sometimes crew cab in the description, probably because most people assume the CC's are no different than regular S10's which we know is not true. What state did your CC come from that created so much rust damage? Maybe you would be better off with a plastic tank? Just sayin!

Steve
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Iif were me, before I had to spend that much money I would just get a Blazer tank and remove the spare tire and be done with it.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

roadrunner wrote:Tried E-Bay?? Perhaps this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-G ... d4&vxp=mtr Says it fits 01 ZR5 crew cab. If not that one I found numerous others through a little searching of links they provided such as: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... tank&rt=nc Should find one new or used there as your tastes or budget dictates. BTW the first one I listed is $109.80 new with free shipping.
Not one of these tanks will work with the crew cabs, they are for the 2 door s10's. The tank looks differant.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

killian96ss wrote:What state did your CC come from that created so much rust damage? Maybe you would be better off with a plastic tank? Just sayin!

Steve
I'm in ohio. And if you can find a plastic tank, I'm all ears. I cant find any tanks that are not in a salvage yard in another state. They wont ship and I cant drive down there.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you can find a tank located near another member, maybe they could pick it up & ship it to you? Most salvage yards and companies who deal with used auto parts will not ship used fuel tanks because they've had gas in them which is a fire hazard. I know UPS and Fed Ex won't touch anything that smells like gas or is known to have gas in it, even if it's empty now, but if you clean the tank up a bit and wrap in in plastic, no one will ever know. If I find anything near me I'll let you know.

Steve
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

killian96ss wrote:If you can find a tank located near another member, maybe they could pick it up & ship it to you? Most salvage yards and companies who deal with used auto parts will not ship used fuel tanks because they've had gas in them which is a fire hazard. I know UPS and Fed Ex won't touch anything that smells like gas or is known to have gas in it, even if it's empty now, but if you clean the tank up a bit and wrap in in plastic, no one will ever know. If I find anything near me I'll let you know.

Steve
That would be sweet! i hope you can find one, especially with you being n cali, should be in really good shape. Good luck
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

You can also flood with co2 if you're concerned...
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

WileyHunter wrote:Here's the link to the catalog page

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=125
Interesting that the tank listed for the 00-01 says 18.5 gal. This might/might not fit my 01 as it has a 20.5 gal tank stock and before anybody tries to argue this as has been done before it is stated in the RPO codes as such as well as the owners manual and is factually correct as I have put 19-20 gal in on fill-up many times. 8)
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That's funny.. I ran out of gas and can only get 16 in mine... Normal fill ups are 13...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

WileyHunter wrote:Here's the link to the catalog page

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=125
Note in the upper left, standard and extended cab.

This one shows the crew cab tank

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=126

Look at the tanks, they are differant.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you call about the used tank for $50?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I did. They cant ship it and I really cant drive down. Plus I asked about the condition of the tank and they said its still in the vehicle so...not sure if I'm wiliing to spend the money to drive down considering I'm about broke at the moment. The fuel pump really kicked my wallets ass!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wait until you can afford it and I think you will still find a used tank your best option. It is not going to be cheap and may require driving a couple hours to pick it up. That will still be cheaper than a new tank that is no longer available.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

Can the pumps on the CC not be changed like a regular s10 by removing the bed?
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

No. The pump is just under the back of the cab...
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

And replacing the pump is NOT fun! I recomend not removing the front strap, remove the 4 15mm bolts on the frame rail that hold the whole front tank strap/carrier bracket so that it stays on the tank, then the rear strap. Plus, others have said that they got the tank down and up with out dropping the drive shaft, how they did this, I do not know. I had tp drop it.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Did mine without deOpping the drive shaft, couldn't tell you how, it just happened that way.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

on mine it was a rotted vent tube on the filler neck
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Hopefully I'll have a new to me tank next week. Gotta see what condition it's in. And the best part is its free and local. A guy at school has a good friend that's a bit odd, he collects old pickup trucks. And he loves s10's, has 2 crew cabs. Wish me luck fellas.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good Luck!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]