Transmission #3 just died..why?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Transmission #3 just died..why?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

first off, been forever since I've posted here, but when I had a mechanical issue, this is where I came first....

So, There's got to be a good reason that the 4L60E in my Blazer continues to grenade, right?

129K miles, and # 3 just broke the Sunshell or sungear. (No 2nd/OD/reverse).

I had someone ask me if I'm keeping the trans fluid changed, lol. "Yeah, every 43,000 miles when I put a new transmission in the truck."

2000 blazer 4x4. 4.3L 129K miles. No power adders. 3.42 gears. 30" tires. Hardly ever use 4x4, don't pull anything bigger than a 14' trailer loaded down with a couple hundred pounds of furniture or yard debris, etc on an average of < once a month. No fluid leaks, good fluid levels.

My current set of tires is older than this last trans (June 2009) and supposedly this trans was built with the "Beast" shell, and hardened sprags, etc.

the 4L60 is used regularly in V8 applications, 300-400hp stock applications, and I've never had a problem like this. The 700R4 in my 89 Jimmy went 260K miles with no issues behind a 4.3.

I'm looking at rebuilding this one myself to save some $$$, and I want to see the parts that were "supposedly" put in this one. Any tips/recommendations?

P.S. - I dunno if it matters or not, but I also had a rear end come apart a little while back - apparently the diff carrier broke, and required a whole new axle due to damage inside the pumpkin. I've just had terrible driveline luck with this truck.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Transmission #3 just died..why?

Post by HenryJ »

Contact OPT (Oregonperformancetransmission.com) Contact page
I had a chat with Brian about some concerns I had when doing the servos.

I am not a tranny guru. I have one of those here in town. I can swap parts, but I do not know or even want to take time to know all the tiny details that make the difference.
What would I do in your situation?

If this is the third strike on the same transmission case, it is out. I would likely try to find a good used transmission. As low mile as possible. Check the pan for evidence in it or around the valvebody. I would install my servos in it and cross my fingers. If I can't find one ready to go , I would ask my local shop if they have a good one, or rebuild another good used transmission.
Is there a warranty on the Beast shell? I thought there was a lifetime guaranteed sun shell out there?
I have not needed to install one. It was my understanding that an improved sun shell , output shaft , needle bearings and planetaries were installed in later models?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

No Trans #2 & 3 were rebuilt swaps done by one of the oldest and biggest shops in the area. #3 I had to wait an extra day while the shop sourced one that was built up (or built it up themselves) with the strengthened internals.

1 year warranty on the trans itself - I didn't think about the Beast having a warranty. Monstertrans.com doesn't have any warranty info on their page for the beast shell. I'll call the shop that did the work and ask them. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

And yes - GM did release a "hardened" shell later in years, although I can't tell you what years got them.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have never had luck with reman transmissions. They are junk. That may be your problem. I too had repeat failures and even found metal filings in the pan when I received it. Never again. Sounds like you need to find another place to shop.
Find a good used transmission and start fresh. If it needs rebuilt find a good shop that can do it. Ask around. Someone must know who the tranny expert in your area might be?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I walked around the local "u-pull-it" salvage yard @ lunch - there's an '00 bravada there that still has a trans in it - the whole driveline is there and hasn't been touched by anyone yet. I'm pretty sure the AWD transfer case comes off and ours will interface, or a tailcone might need to be swapped out.

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to know the condition of the trans - the vehicle itself was relatively straight, with a minor impact to the right front door and fender.

$78 out the door is what they told me. You think it would be worth my time to pull this one?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes! That seems like a good price. Drop the pan and see what it looks like. If it is good, grab it.
You might check with them to make sure the output shaft will match up to your transfercase. I think it should but there is an off chance that the spline count might be different? Worst case you have a decent core to rebuild.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

If you don't have an external transmission cooler, You need one. I am convinced that has a lot to do with the life of a transmission. Be sure to flush the cooler lines when you replace the transmission.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

JaVeRo wrote:If you don't have an external transmission cooler, You need one. I am convinced that has a lot to do with the life of a transmission. Be sure to flush the cooler lines when you replace the transmission.

James
:thumb: X2!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

If you rebuild use all corvette parts. When I had my suburban trans replaced I got one that was done with all corvette servos and parts. It never gave me a second of trouble after that. I have heard others who will preach the same. Corvette parts are made to handle much higher horsepower for sure.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Well, I got it back on the road after taking much longer than I wanted. I finally gave up on having time to rebuild myself and found a new transmission place than what I had used before. (Plus the wife landed herself a nice new job, which helped the financial decision out a good bit)

they rebuilt the one that was in the truck, and found that the Beast shell had cracked, but not in a way they had seen before. they found some other damage, and they couldn't determine which failure caused the other.

either way they got me back on 4 wheels, with all 4 forward gears, and one in reverse. for now that's good enough for me.

Now I have to fix the vague steering, bump steer issues & bouncy bilsteins. Oh, and find the A/C leak that keeps popping up.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

glad to hear that your back on the road.
hopefully it wasn't tooo big of a dent in your wallet, especially during the holiday season.
happy holidays.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.