4wd - or lack thereof....

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

dougg01
Crew
Crew

4wd - or lack thereof....

Post by dougg01 »

Here is where I am at today in my quest to get 4wd working again:

vacuum switch was replaced and checked...again...

I rerouted vacuum from the ported source using a 'V' with one leg going to climate controls, etc and the other strictly for the front axle stuff.

Yes, the TC motor works. Or else, I wouldn't get vacuum at the actuator.

I have 15-20+ in/Hg at the actuator (replaced because battery acid had deteriorated the diaphram).

What i discovered last night was in my troubleshooting I had removed the cable to ensure it was not bound up too tightly. When I put it back together I must have tightened the nut insert (stop) on the diff end all the way. Cable couldn't hardly move.

I loosened this up last night to the point I could tug on the cable and hear it engage (though didn't test by turning the wheel). I am pretty familiar with the sound.

Still no lockup. The actuator does have vacuum, but it can't seem to pull the cable all the way.

I really don't want to do a posi-lok, but I have ordered a locking cable to do just that. I'd rather avoid it becuase my wife and eventually my son drive it and I don't want them to hassle with things that aren't 'normal'.

Tonight I am going to pull the cable to lock manually and put vise-grips on it and see if I have 4wd.

Is it possible that when I troubleshot all this initially and had everything apart the only real issue was the actuator (and was) and I have somehow thrown the diff cable out of adjustment so it can't lock it in....? It has gone in a couple times, but won't stay.

I'm asking here because I know you guys answer my questions.... Good folks. I'm at wit's end with this thing.

Got another post coming on a intermittent hiccup.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 4wd - or lack thereof....

Post by HenryJ »

I like the stock system for the very reason you mentioned. My wife needs simple. The stock system can and does work. With a little trouble shooting, you should be able to figure out what is wong with yours.

Did you try the cable yet?

Is the transfercase , really, engaging the front drive shaft?

Keep in mind that in 4x4 only one front wheel will be engaged as it is an open carrier.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

Hey. I dumped the vacuum stuff. Made my own Posi-lock using my spare cable and bracket then adding the NAPA locking pull/push cable. Its disconnected because I am re-engineering my fix because I was worried the tie-rod bolt might grab the cable during compression. My redo will eliminate that risk. I mounted the t-handle discretely and it's not a pain to use. I will school my wife in its use for the limited times they do need to run it. If'n I had the energy I 'd go manual on the TC too, but it doesn't really buy me anything right now. When I get the redo done (maybe tonight) I'll take pics and let you all know how it works. I have less than $40 in it and its not some hack job.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds interesting, Doug. Anxious to see it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]