Roar/Whine in front end *solved (bad wheel bearing)

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bubbat

Roar/Whine in front end *solved (bad wheel bearing)

Post by bubbat »

I have a 2002 Crew Cab that has a roar or whine in the front end, sound like it coming from the passenger side. At first I thought it was just the all terrain tires humming on the highway,but it still makes the noise on dirt roads or even crossing a grassy field. Noise starts around 10 mph and gets a little louder till about 40 mph the doesn't change till I slow down again. It quits all together on sharp right hand turns and on rolling bumps in the road when the suspension unloads. The tire is a little out of round on the right front but I don't know if that would be causing the noise. Going to rotate them tomorrow and see if that helps. I did check the front wheel bearing, it seems fine.
I don't know that much about the IFS 4x4 systems on these trucks all my 4x4s in the past have been straight axles with manual hubs. I thinking maybe it's a CV joint going bad, but I don't know what to check, it looks ok.

Ya'll got any suggestions on what and how to determine where the noise is coming from?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Roar/Whine in front end

Post by roadrunner »

JMOP based on experience. Front hub/bearing assy. Noise quits when unloaded as in turns that direction and bumps unloading that wheel. I have replaced numerous front hub bearings due to this exact problem. Could be wrong but I doubt it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Agree. Check the caliper slide pins while you're there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Yeah same problem here, except when I turn.
When I turn, I get a grinding / rubbing sound as if the 31" tires on a non lifted crew were rubbing the frame.
The tires only rub the frame when I'm @ full lock & the extra noise happens b 4 the tires touch.
I figured it was my hub bearings.
I had my buddy put it on the rack & he confirmed that my bearings r really bad.
I bought the truck in Aug & the dealer tried saying that it was the off road tires.
My Balljoints r original, so we r gonna do the bearings & Balljoints @ the same time & then move on 2 other repairs / services.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I had the same noise in my front end. I just finished replacing all 4 ball joints, moog problem solvers, all four tie rod ends and adjusters, moog and both hub bearings. The noise is still there. Will my front wheels engage with all 4 wheels off the ground so I can try to segregate where the noise is coming from ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:... Will my front wheels engage with all 4 wheels off the ground so I can try to segregate where the noise is coming from ?
If you have a G80 rear differential you have three wheel drive. The front differential is an open carrier, so only one wheel is driven up front. If you have an open carrier in the rear, it too will only have one wheel driven.
It seems crazy that in 4x4 you would only have a two wheel drive, one front and one rear.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Wouldn't 1 tire on the front and 1 on the back spin backwards with the truck on jackstands? That is what happens on my jeep and k5 when you do that.
Last edited by _STUCKY on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

And FYI... Lets say off road you lift the front passenger side tire. It will then get all the power because there is no resistance on it, while the tire on the ground does nothing. I do not know how the g80 reacts to that situation.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They may, but only one is driven.

Rear wheel bearings can sound fine with no load. Keep that in mind. Visual inspection is needed to confirm condition.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubbat

Post by bubbat »

I pulled the bearing assbly off the right front, no slack, no wobble, but gritty as hell. Put the new one on and no more noise. Now gotta put in a new fuel pump, it died today, at least it had the decency to quit while the truck was in my garage and not down the road some where.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Roar/Whine in front end *solved (bad wheel bearing)

Post by mars2878 »

Glad that u solved it, sucks about the fuel pump though.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.