SES when getting on freeway

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

driveroflyn274

SES when getting on freeway

Post by driveroflyn274 »

Okay, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I am not seeing a solution to my problem in my searches. My only modification is the Throttle Blade mod, otherwise my truck is a stock 2002 CC with approximately 100k on the clock. The past few times I have chosen to accelerate more aggressively getting on the freeway, I will give the truck about 75% throttle and it will shift from first to second then on the way to third the SES light will come on and stay on the rest of my drive and subsequent starts afterward. I had the codes pulled once (at Autozone) and I got a P0101 and a P0102. If I remember correctly, these have to do with a faulty MAF sensor. I just want to verify my symptoms before I run off and start buying parts. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't notice any dip in power or any misfires. I am planning on doing cap, rotor, plugs and wires come this spring. I also noticed that my truck is harder to start after I fill up at the gas station. Could this be part of the issue?
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: SES when getting on freeway

Post by mars2878 »

p0101 & p0102 are for a faulty maf sensor.
that is all i can answer with 100% accuracy.
hope this helps
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are on the right track doing the tune-up first. Careful with the distributor. Heed the warnings we have posted and on the website. Change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure.
At 100k there is a pretty long list of things that need done. Your owners manual lists them. Good luck and let us know what you find.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

It also couldnt hurt to pick up a can of MAF cleaner and clean the sensor.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ApproachMedium wrote:It also couldnt hurt to pick up a can of MAF cleaner and clean the sensor.
CRC brand MAF sensor cleaner works pretty good and is much cheaper than a replacement MAF sensor! Clean those 3 tiny sensors and inspect the wiring harness and plug for loose or cut wires before you spend any $ on a new sensor. MAF sensors can fail, although it is somewhat rare.
The IAT sensor (small temp sensor on intake tube) can also be cleaned with the MAF sensor cleaner. The PCM uses the MAF sensor (airflow rate) and IAT sensor (airflow temp) to make adjustments so both must be clean for everything to be happy.

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I have a new sensor I was given for my truck from someone who didnt need it. if yours is still acting up after cleaning it let me know. Throw me a few bucks and shipping and I will send you mine.. It works perfectly.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
driveroflyn274

Post by driveroflyn274 »

Cleaned the MAF this weekend and so far no issues. Thanks for the advice guys.