4x4 Not fully disengaging?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

4x4 Not fully disengaging?

Post by ApproachMedium »

I noticed when I had my right front side of my truck torn apart that the 4x4 axle cable had some of its shielding worn off and exposed. I tried to ignore this, as the 4x4 always worked and hasnt given me any trouble. Now the other night I used it to climb up the hill out of my parents back yard (god forbid I tear up the grass!) Once I got up the hill on to the pavement, I went back to 2 Low and then cut the wheel left and took off. I didnt have a problem until saturday night we were doing some late night fog photography/railfanning up along the hudson river valley. I went to make a sharp U turn with the wheel cut all the way over and the truck started hopping on the left front and when it did it made a noise every time it jumped. I later on had to do the same move again, and it did the noise again. When I got home I tried to turn the thing around in the parking lot and see if I could get it to do it again and it didnt. It seemed like the 4x4 was still engaged somehow.

Could this be because my cable isnt returning properly, and not properly disengaging the axle? Or do I have other problems? I have two new half shafts they are almost 2 years old. My front axle did get drained, refilled and new gaskets at the same time also. The vac actuator that's under the battery was replaced with new when I bought the truck because it was destroyed. I have a new cable but until I have my tools I cant change it. I am hoping its just the cable. Anyone else experience the same or similar problem with one of these trucks in the past?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 4x4 Not fully disengaging?

Post by HenryJ »

ApproachMedium wrote:...Could this be because my cable isnt returning properly, and not properly disengaging the axle?
It could be a bad cable.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 4x4 Not fully disengaging?

Post by ApproachMedium »

Thats what I thought. Im taking a long weekend for a short vacation starting thursday, ill see if I can get the tools to swap it out.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ