4L60e question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

driveroflyn274

4L60e question

Post by driveroflyn274 »

Hey guys I just had a quick question that I couldn't find an answer to about our transmissions. I noticed while driving other family and friends cars that their torque converter seems to lock or nearly lock as soon as they are in first gear. Up shifts are positive and right and their power delivery seems more direct. My 4L60e always feels like a slush box when driving around and I was wondering if Evey 4L60e is like this or if mine is in need of repair. I have all gears, but the transmission never seems to be direct unless I am 3/4 throttle or more. Thank you for your help in advance.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 4L60e question

Post by HenryJ »

We did get a slushbox. They didn't want the soccer granny to spill her coffee.

Corvette servos , longer pin and a billet fourth help to sharpen the shifts. Upping the pressure a little (programmer) firms it up. These two can be used together. A shift kit can also be installed to firm things up. That may not be possible to use with shift firmness installed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

The 4L60e in mine behaves the same way, and I am very much on top of my maintenance. I have it professionally flushed at the GM dealer every 30K. When I got the truck, it was a freshly rebuilt trans. How it was rebuilt, I do not know but it worked good when I got it with just a thousand miles on it. After driving this 94 blazer I have for sale for the past few months I realized the 700R4 (Thats whats in there right?) has a way better response to it, not to mention its gout about 20-25 more HP in the motor than ours but the trans def responds way better than the 4L60e. When time comes to finally rebuild this one I will go for all the goodies.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Yep, these late model trannies are built realy soft, Im going to throw the servo and maybe a shift kit in mine to stiffen it up a bit, just to make it less mushy.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I would imagine adding those items means removing the trans from the vehicle? It would be nice if mine wasnt so mushy as well.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

No removal for the corvette servos, longer pin and billet 4th. Goes in from the top. Check the page for that mod.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Cool thanks
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

As someone that is on his 4th 4L60e in the same vehicle, find a good shop that rebuilds on site if you ever need a rebuild. May not be the biggest shop - that was my issue I think. The "big" shop was sourcing remans from somewhere else, stocking them and returning cores. That way all they're doing in shop is swaps.

course - I broke a beast shell in the last one with nothing but daily driver use, so who knows.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]