Rattle/Grinding noise from Distributor

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rattle/Grinding noise from Distributor

Post by Ken »

I have had a rattle / grinding noise for a while now, ussually worse when cold, for awhile I thought it was a broken cat con. it was making the that type of noise when. I have actually tracked it dow the the distibutor, no doubt the noise is from there. Still comes and goes, but according to goolge search sounds like a common problem and same symptoms. Question is does anyone have any thoughts on Richporter Technology replacement distributors. Local O'Reilly wants 204.00 for it but can get on Amazon for 70.00 shipped.

http://www.rptenginemgt.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ ... 00_s00_i00

Anyone else had this thyp of noise or distributor failure any recommendations on replacement dist.

Thanks,
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rattle/Grinding noise from Distributor

Post by HenryJ »

Seems like someone installed the aluminum replacement distributor?

Check Rockauto.com. they show a WPS aluminum replacement distributor $62 They also show a United Ignition aluminum replacement for $103
Be sure to check the classifieds for a discount code if you use rockauto.com

I have a spare stock distributor on the shelf. Left over from my spare parts. Seems like it might have had one hold down screw hole showing signs of stress? Looks intact right now. I'll ship it if someone needs one.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

HenryJ wrote:Seems like someone installed the aluminum replacement distributor?

Are you indicating that mine is likely an aluminum replacement? It's actutally the factory original that is still in there.
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not you, another member. I don't recall for sure, but it may have been Jim?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

If its making that rattling noise the bearing is probably shot in it. Both mine and Avtekk's trucks had this problem.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

You need to replace the distributor. The best bet is replace it with a new aluminum one off e bay. I did and like it. They come fully loaded with a brass cap. Plug and play.
I bought two of them and put one in my crew. The other one was for my wife's Jimmy but she traded it in so It's just sitting here in the box.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

Jongo88 wrote:You need to replace the distributor. The best bet is replace it with a new aluminum one off e bay.

Do you have a manufacture or part number for the ones you bought. I see the same model I am looking to buy off Amazon listed on ebay (Amazon is cheaper)

Sample listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RICH-PORTER-TEC ... 0b&vxp=mtr
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That one is plastic... I'm at work at the moment... You want an aluminum one... I got one cheaper that that.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Yep my truck recently had this same problem, replaced it with an off the shelf plastic one from Advance. The aluminum is better because it doesnt strip the holes out as easily but I couldnt wait to order it.
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

What is the procedure for replacing it, I read something about needing to have the cranksensor to re-learn etc...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ken wrote:What is the procedure for replacing it, I read something about needing to have the cranksensor to re-learn etc...
From our stock information pages- Distributor Replacement

- ThunderII KE7CSK
huminajumina

Post by huminajumina »

One time I had a bad PCV valve that was rattling and sounded like my distro bearing going out.... after a lil while I determined it was obviously coming more from the valve cover area, but it had me fooled for a few minutes....just a heads up...
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

huminajumina wrote:One time I had a bad PCV valve that was rattling and sounded like my distro bearing going out.... after a lil while I determined it was obviously coming more from the valve cover area, but it had me fooled for a few minutes....just a heads up...
I had a "tapping" sound from my truck that ended up being the PCV as well. It would do it at idle until about 1k rpm and then would go away. Just was annoying at stop lights and in traffic.
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

Just thought I would close the loop on this topic. It's been 5 weeks now with the replacement distributor and its working fine.

Ended up bying this one: http://www.richporter.com/distributors.aspx Part Number GM02

Bought from Amazon 70.00 including 5.00 shipping. : http://www.amazon.com/Richporter-Techno ... istributor

This is a "plastic" distributor, likely along the lines of the same quality as the factory unit. Factory lasted nearly 110K so hopefully this on hangs in there that long.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OrlandoSonomazr5 »

Mine just suffered the same fate. Woke up this morning fired her up and heard this god awful noise I thought it was either a valve smashing a piston or a bearing letting go, till I put my hand on the distributor. After taking it apart it had almost 3/4" wobble to it.

I'm On my way to pick up a richporter from Orielly's Auto. Don't have time to wait to order one of the aluminum ones at the moment although I will order one for a spare. I'm not a fan of these cheap plastic ones. The Stock one went 114,000 miles, so this one should last me at least another 50k.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OrlandoSonomazr5 »

well that was fun but that easy install. Needed to make a oil pump key out of the old distributor, but was done in a about 2hrs. Sure if I had to do it again it would take 20 mins.