New Halfshafts

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New Halfshafts

Post by Ken »

So it's my turn for the right inner CV boot to spring a leak. New halfshaft is darn near as cheap as two boots (not replace one boot if I have the shaft out). Looking for optinions/input on the Cardone new halfshafts, my research indicated (guy at napa) they are the manufacture for the Napa "MaxDrive" products.

Does anyone have experience good or bad with this item?

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product ... r%3a%3a%3a

Napa Selling for 91.00
Amazon: 67.77 Free Shipping
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: New Halfshafts

Post by killian96ss »

I bought a new Cardone halfshaft one time from O'riellys, installed it, then noticed one boot was already coming apart, took it back off, got my refund, bought a new Napa halfshaft and haven't had any problems since. When the other side went bad, I put another new Napa halfshaft on that side and no problems there either. The Napa shafts do not appear to be made by the same manufacturer because they have thicker, more pliable boots, and a black coating. It is still possible though that they are made by the same manufacturer and maybe I just got a different manufacture date or an upgraded design. If you not sure which one to get, just go down to your local parts store like O'riellys, Autozone, etc and Napa to compare what they look like. I know O'riellys carries Cardone for sure.

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I got two napa half shafts when both of mine went. I paid somewhere between 60 and 70 bucks for them. Replaced at 210-220k. One went and then about 10k later the other went. No problems since and I am at 257k.

EDIT: The napa units also have a core return, so if you buy locally and return it you get that back also.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ApproachMedium wrote:EDIT: The napa units also have a core return, so if you buy locally and return it you get that back also.
Only if you buy remanufactured halfshafts. New halfshafts do not have a core charge. You also pre-pay the core charge on reman units so your not really getting extra money back. I've had nothing but bad experiences with remanufactured halfshafts, so I always buy new when possible. Maybe there are good reman units out there, I just never had any luck finding one. :(

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Oh, well I guess I have reman ones then. Well no problems, as of yet. I also dont abuse my truck or take it beyond the highway often. The 4x4 is pretty much only used during the snow.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Remember those problems I didnt have? Well the inner boot on my driver side one just blew up and the metal on metal noises when taking turns or bumps are scaring me. Gonna use a stock one out of a wrecked truck that is being parted out by someone I know. If its GM stock it should last more than 2 years.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ