blown metal brake line

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

blown metal brake line

Post by fallvitals »

been a while since i posted here, just have no time these days...

anyways, coming home from work tonight I blew a brake line. it is the metal line that comes from the front of the truck along the from rail, behind the driver rear tire, ad connects to the flex hoes that goes to the differential. It failed at the metal end of the line that threads to the flex hose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO3sslY6hhg

of course, I cannot find a diagram online to see how far this metal line goes to its next connection point (its dark or id crawl underneath), nor can i find a replacement on gmpartsdirect, lmc truck, etc. I recall dad years ago blowing a brake line and his option was bend it yourself, or have it custom made, he went the custom route for he thinks $0 at a local shop.

any advice or pearls of wisdom?

Reed's ducks are in WV! gonna rain all weekend, naturally, and I have to rebuild the rear brake master cylinder on my ATV too! becuase those brakes arent working! :surrender:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: blown metal brake line

Post by F9K9 »

Sorry about the ducks, Bro. There's a couple of options that you can take. Most auto parts store sell lengths of different sized brake line with fittings on each end. They keep it in the back and not open to the public. You can go that route but, each connection is a potential failure area. If, I was in your shoes I'd research replacing the line myself and have a chance to pick up a couple of tools, as well. I bet that buying the tools, fittings and line would be cheaper than one from LMC.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

blown metal brake line

Post by fallvitals »

Talked to a buddy of mine, with his knowledge, some of his tools and a trip to napa we cut out the bad part, used a compression fitting (not sure if that was the best option but that's what we did), and replaced. Bled the lines. Pretty simple job, I was impressed. I'll post a couple pics in a reply thread.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

blown metal brake line

Post by fallvitals »

AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

I def wouldnt leave it like that, compression fittings are a big no-no on brake systems and absolutely illegal. They can loosen up over time and leak and if you have a leak, youll eventually have no brakes. Unfortunately for you, the next junction in that line is up by engine area, on top pf the frame, right near the where the metal line connects to the hose for the front left wheel. So youll need a long length of line to do it in one shot, and a double flaring tool.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

AVTekk wrote:I def wouldnt leave it like that, compression fittings are a big no-no on brake systems and absolutely illegal.................
The gentleman is 100% correct on this one. If, you leave it as is, don't let anyone else drive or ride in your rig.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

blown metal brake line

Post by fallvitals »

Interesting. My buddy had the tools to flare it, but napa guy gave options of the compression fitting or steel stuff (plus flaring it), said her to compression fitting. Hm hm hm.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

blown metal brake line

Post by fallvitals »

Her-he'd

He'd use the compression fitting***