Parking brake woes

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Parking brake woes

Post by paintballrocker »

Hey yall. Im trying to get my truck through inspection after the axle swap, but i cant get my ebrake to hold enough for the inspection test. I replaced the parking brake pads, and had to use longer ZR2 cables because of the rear being lifted. Im going to completely tear the ebrak system apart again this weekend in hopes of being able to adjust it properly. Just to make sure i got the process down right, ill adjust the wheel cylinder till the rear pads barely scrape the rotor drum, then adjust the cables at the frame. is that correct? is there any other place I can adjust from? It holds right now but just doesnt hold enough to pass the inspection,and i have the cables adjusted pretty tight, so Im thinking i need to readjust the wheel cylinders
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Parking brake woes

Post by barch97 »

Hanrij posted the specs on the shoe/drum spacing a while back. It's pretty tight at 0.026"
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yea ive seen those specs before, but im not going to drop $50-$80 on a tool i wont use often. So by doing it the old school way I should just adjsut it till it contants the rear drum right?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The tool KD 3377 is about $40. Check it out closely and you may be able to make your own, or find a similar way to take the measurement. Renting one or borrowing one might be an option too?
It is not the same as the old rub and loosen method used for drum brakes. Clearances are much tighter and less forgiving. If the hat or the shoe is worn, you are never going to make it work very well.
Maybe they went back to drum rear bakes because of the disc/drum parking brake issues?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ill look into that tool more, might have to get it for the future. But im trying to get the truck inspected next week other wise i go outside the window of the free retest after the intial fail. Ill see if i can make it work the old school way and then properly do it with the tool later. thanks for the info guys!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

My cable wouldnt hold anymore when parked, my friend determined that it was way too far stretched out. I drove around with the brake applied once and never noticed. Its been disconnected now since the state of NJ doesnt care about safety anymore and its no longer inspected. One of these days ill get a new cable in. Could it be that one of your cables is stretched out from age?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

no, brand new ZR2 cables in
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I'm currently waiting time and weather wise to put new rear disc/drums and e-brake shoes on my truck. In my case the culprit was mud accumulating on the e-brake cable causing it to drag till it wore out the shoes.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

my stock cables were worn threw the protective hosuing and rusted the internal cable. plus with going spring over in the rear and add a leaf it required me to use the ZR2 cables