4 wheel drive not working

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

casepuller

4 wheel drive not working

Post by casepuller »

Hi guys,
just got an 01 cc. The 4x4 isn't working. The buttons push and the lights light up like they should in 4 hi and Lo. I pulled the battery with it running and put it in 4 hi. The accuator pulls the cable, but the front axle still doesn't engage. Is it possible that the cable isn't pulling far enough? Cable broke? I don't know what to look for next.

Thanks
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 4 wheel drive not working

Post by paintballrocker »

the most common thing for the 4x4 not working is the vacum thing under the batter tray not holding the vacume.
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
casepuller

Post by casepuller »

Yeah I checked that, the actuator is working. It pulls the cable but doesn't engage the 4x4. Actually it has engaged a couple of times, but jumps out. I can get under the truck and take the nut the locks the cable in the housing off and pull the cable out and get it to engage, but it won't stay in and feels like it is barely catching.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like your cable may be bad. The cable can break, but just before it stretches out. This doesn't allow it to pull quite far enough.
More than a few have found seized and other issues with the actuator cable.
Another possibility is a worn shift fork or collar. That will mean digging deeper.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
casepuller

Post by casepuller »

Hopefully its a stretched cable. I'll try putting a new one on before I tear it apart totally.

Thanks for responding
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I had a similar problem and simply disconnected the cable from the vaccum actuater at the top under the battery. I then dribbled a little at a time PB blaster down the cable tube. After about maybe 15 dribbles and jiggleing the cable around I finally noticed the penitrating oil dripping out at the bottom by the front differential. I then hooked every thing back together and it worked great, no delay and I could hear it clicking in and out clearly. I now do this little oiling job every time I change oil at 6000 miles 100% synthetic 5w 30. Lube my brake caliper slider pins, 5 point tire rotation and recheck all fluid levels. At 167,000 miles, I intend on never buying another truck the rest of my life. 8) :rock:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
okaussie
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by okaussie »

I, too, had a similar problem. Mine is an 02 with 176,000 miles on it and 4wd is used very little. Found a tear in the actuator and replaced all the hoses. I run in 4hi for about 6 blocks every day when I work just to keep things working properly. It is one of those things that when you need it you really need it. Mine just went through the two tornadoes in May and had to have the entire bed replaced due to a trash dumpster and debris hitting it big time. Cost $3000 just to get it fixed.

Your 4x4 problem should be relatively easy to fix. Just troubleshoot it one piece at a time

Good Luck

Bill
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I climbed under my '02 ZR5 this morning to change the Transfer Switch and thought I'd check my shift cable first to make sure it was not froze up or broke and it is good. need to know if I should be able to manually pull the shift fork in and out with or without the cable. I ask because it won't pull with vacuum actuator or by hand any farther then 3/8 ". :blink:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You should not be able to manually engage it without moving a little to line up the splines. That is where the vacuum actuator shines. It applies gentle pressure until it engages. Engage before you need it. If you can't roll the front axle, it may not engage. Ask the guy who backed off the pavement and got stuck. Rear tires spinning front did not wiggle. Would not go into 4x4 :(

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks for the "turn the axle" reminder, wah lah ! , slipped right in. After further close inspection I found the dreaded rotten vacuum hose by the brake booster and the short tube from the same little filter looking "T" that the rotten one hooks to was very loose. Replaced both and we're back in perfect working order. I'm now in the process of going ahead with the Transfer Switch change since I have the thing and payed $44 for maybe $1.50 worth of plastic and some kind of metal, oh!, and a custom blue stripe. I'm sort of a believer in " if it Ain't Broke, don't Fix it" but I'm really tired of reading about " It Will Fail " so here goes. I do think pulling the front drive shaft will make it a lot more accessible.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pretty easy to do with a body lifted rig. I really can't say what thew best way will be without. You will be the best to tell us what worked well for you :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK