Vacuum line help

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Vacuum line help

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok - time for some help again, trying to confirm a theory.

My HVAC system started acting up - under hard acceleration the system would redirect air out of vents it wasn't selected for, etc. A couple more weeks and the control has stopped working completely. Air only comes out of the main vents in the dash. Very little defroster or footwell. I know that the vent selection dial is vacuum driven, so I started looking around under the hood first before pulling the dash apart.

Turns out all of my vacuum line from the intake to the T fitting under the brake booster is completely dry rotten. Off that T there are 3 5/32" lines, Source, feed to another elbow, and a line that looks like it ran up under the ABS module toward that inner fender, but it is open ended and rotten too. The second T fitting has the line running back down to the Xfer case (I guess??) and the adapter to the plastic line that enters the main wire harness and goes through the firewall.

The Xfer case line seems ok for now, I hope to not have to replace it just yet. I can't find where that 3rd 5/32" line goes though. I hear that there should be a Vac reservoir somewhere, but I can't find it unless it is tucked up high in the driver side fender area? Is there a fitting I'm missing, or do I just need to pull the inner fender to make this easier to do?

TIA
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Vacuum line help

Post by AVTekk »

Youre right, the reservoir is tucked up into the fender, if you get a small mirror you can see the nipple that the vacuum line goes to, otherwise you can feel it with your finger. They all need to be hooked up for your vents to work properly.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Vacuum line help

Post by HenryJ »

Yup, yup...feel around under the lip of that fender and you will find the nipple it needs to connect to.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK