Antifreeze smell in cab and outside of truck

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Antifreeze smell in cab and outside of truck

Post by fallvitals »

Another thread , for the last few weeks I have had a bad antifreeze smell in the truck and more so outside. So bad coworkers have noticed it. I think... It maybe originating outside and the smell traveling into the cab??

Coolant levels are steady. I have never seen a leak, popped the hood and never saw a thing. Not even sure where to start looking. If guess heater core, but it smells strongest outside, so shouldn't be that??? Ideas?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Antifreeze smell in cab and outside of truck

Post by HenryJ »

Look around the sides of the block, skid plate, starter etc. Have you replaced the intake gaskets yet? Running Dex? Freeze plugs rotted out?

Heater core leaks usually show up as wet carpet on the passenger side floorboard IIRC. Feel around and see.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

My buddies blazer had the same problem. I put coolant in it and it didnt seem to "leak" until one day i picked it up to take it for the intake gasket to get replaced and what do you know, i started it up and it was shooting coolant out of the gasket on the forward left hand side of the engine. Since the intake gasket was changed the cabin smells are gone and there is zero smell outside of coolant.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I was gonna reply days ago but was having issues with tapatalk. Any way, thanks for the great info as always Brule.

I feel silly now having asked, I looked again, and don't know how I missed it before, but I found the culprit.... The inline tee. I installed from my prestone flush kit, there's a very minut drip coming from it. Atleast it's something very simple! Feel very lucky!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:... The inline tee. I installed from my prestone flush kit, there's a very minut drip coming from it. Atleast it's something very simple! Feel very lucky!
:rock:
That does make a Merry Xmas.
Seems like I might have had a similar problem with mine too?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK