G80 locker not locking

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

G80 locker not locking

Post by Cajun »

My Eaton G80 locker is not engaging. Could this but a fluid change? The rear differential works and sounds fine otherwise. Any ideas are appreciated.
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: G80 locker not locking

Post by F9K9 »

I'm just guessing here but, could yours have just worn out due to mileage? I'm pretty far removed here in giving advice. Unfortunately, I've crossed over to the dark side and might be able to help will lunch boxes, spools, Detroits and air lockers but, no help here.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You do know that it will only engage at low speeds , right? Basically if you ease into it, it should engage the wheel with traction after a revolution or so. It will then only stay locked until the flyweights disengage it with speed. They also prevent it from locking at speed.
When did you last change the differential fluid? I prefer to stay with the recommended fluid for these older g80 diffs. The clutch material can be pretty picky.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Differential fluid changed about 50,000 miles ago to Redline product mentioned in a post on this forum. It has worked up until about 10,000 miles ago on the snow and ice covered roads. The truck has about 106,000 miles total. Its a daily driver and doesn't see any real wheeling. The occasional steep loose gravel mountain road is the closest thing to wheeling.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

changed fluid this weekend, works like a charm again.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Cajun wrote:changed fluid this weekend, works like a charm again.
HJ has a knack for finding simple solutions. Glad you got it working!! :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I wonder if changing the fluid will have the same effect on one that likes to lock and stay locked. Mine hates it if I am enthusiastic about getting out of a tight turn at low speed. The first day I had the truck back with the V8 it got stuck until I drove it at high speed on the highway and then it was fine and has been working fine since.

It did this once before a few years ago. I forget why. Oh well.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

If worst comes to it you can rebuild the unit with carbon fiber clutches.

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDe ... DiffWizard
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.