Seeking recommendations for replacement torque converter

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Seeking recommendations for replacement torque converter

Post by Chadwick »

My torque converter is going out. Is there any replacement that I can purchase that would be an improvement over the factory OEM converter? This truck is mostly stock with the exception of a 3" body lift and 31" tires.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Seeking recommendations for replacement torque converter

Post by HenryJ »

IMO, the stock converter is pretty good. I believe it is desirable as a performance model for other applications (racing stall). What makes you think yours is failing?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

For the 4.3L engine stick with the stock one. Even with the V8 engine swap, the stock one seems to work good for that as well. If you are looking to get rid of the slushyness of the trans and get some better shift and throttle response a Corvette servo is an ideal cheap and simple upgrade for the 4L60E.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Post by Chadwick »

I know its been a while since the question was asked. Which is Ok, the truck is just now getting into the shop to have issues addressed.

The truck is acting like the transmission isn't locking into gear. The RPM's are all over the place when driving down the highway. Also, when at the base of a big hill this last summer I put it into 4wd and I couldn't even get started up the hill without a run-and-go. The RPM's was cranking, but the wheels were not turning. It was like the power was not getting too the transmission. Also, there is this rattling sound coming from where the transmission meets the engine.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

The rattling could be the cat. What is your fluid level like? Check the fluid with the engine hot and running, and preferably after driving it a bit. Does the fluid smell burnt or have a brownish color and not red color?

You may just need a good flush and fill. Its hard to find anyone that will do that anymore. The 4L60E transmissions torque converter carries fluid in it to operate, and the only way to really get it all out is to have it flushed. Though, it could just be going bad. I dont know much more than that about transmissions.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

The lack of power can definitely be due to a clogged cat, especially since you're hearing a rattling sound as well.