Right Front Axle Issue

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

VictoryRed2001

Right Front Axle Issue

Post by VictoryRed2001 »

I replaced the front wheel bearing/hub assemblies on my '01. The left went without a hitch. The right, however, not so much. As I pulled the hub assembly from the axle, the axle came out more than the left side, the boot is actually in the opening in the spindle housing. When I installed the new hub assembly it went on the splines but the axle was out too far for the hub to mate to the housing. I pressed it in and got the bolts started. The shaft turned without a problem. I kept turning the shaft as I tightened the bolts. All was fine until the hub mated against the spindle housing. The axle still turns but there is a spot that is hard to turn. It turns fine the rest of the way around. I removed the hub and tried to push the axle in further but it would not go in any further.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
VictoryRed2001

Re: Right Front Axle Issue

Post by VictoryRed2001 »

Could not get replies so I reassembled the entire axle/bearing/hub assembly and when I tightened the hub nut the axle turned with no problems.
LMs10CrewCab
Crew
Crew

Re: Right Front Axle Issue

Post by LMs10CrewCab »

Welcome to the forum! Glad you figured it out, when I did mine the entire assembly was seized together. I finally put a block of wood between the wheel and the frame and popped it off!
Make sure that you tighten the hub nut not too tight or not too loose, I believe the correct amount is 102 - 103 Ft/LB, that is what I did on mine. No problems yet!