replace cv

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

replace cv

Post by mfulaytar »

well I went and played in the mud a little today, but little did I know that my cv boot was busted open. so now my driver side cv is making an awful racket. I assume that means I need to replace the cv axle. what do you guys think? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, do you think I can do this myself or should I just pay. pep boys quoted me $450. im a freshman in college and that is gonna hurt pretty bad.... if anyone is in auburn Alabama and would like to help, please feel free.

thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: replace cv

Post by HenryJ »

It is not too bad, however it has been long enough that the axle shaft may be a real fight to get out of the wheel bearing. A puller and some cuss'n may be involved. Get ready for ball joints and wheel bearings as those may need to be replaced too if you find them bad.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Get an impact gun, it will make your life easy. Mine after 200k would not come out of the truck without it. Also do yourself a HUGE favor go to napa and buy the "brand new" units and not a remanufactured one. I had two remans go on my drivers side under a year of being installed. Passenger side had a brand new one and thats been good for maybe 50k+
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Hartleybl »

I'm in Foley Alabama... A few hours from auburn tho.... I could help on a Sunday or a Tuesday... Those are my days off